Fuel Injectors or IP?

JL65

Reaction score
I have a 92 ford f350 with 89k miles on it. the engine was previously N/A but the owner before me installed a turbo set up. I bought this truck and use it everyday now as my service truck. At any given time im about 14k pounds. I had noticed the truck would smoke alot and run rough after sitting found about an hour or so and first thing in the morning so i put a new set of glow plugs and injectors in. The truck starts good now but ive noticed a slight intermittent miss fire that was not present before. Also I've noticed that when im going down a long hill and i barely give it any throttle to keep it up to speed the truck billows white smoke till i either let completely off the throttle or step on it harder (weird I know). Could i have gotten a couple bad injectors or possibly a pump not being able to keep up with the new injectors? As for as i know the pump is original but im not 100% sure on that. Also Im not gunna lie, the set of injectors i got for it were from an off brand company. Any help would be appreciated.

One other thing is i been looking into the conestoga diesel injection site and their moose pumps and injectors. any recommendations on was pump and or injectors i should go. like i said this is my daily driver service truck so i dont wanna smoke alot but i would like to get as much power as possible.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It's generally best to replace the pump and injectors at the same time. Before you do anything else, I'd recommend trying to advance your pump timing. Rotate the pump toward the passenger's side about the width of a dime (using the lines on the pump and pump housing as a reference). Drive it and see if that does anything. The two lines are worthless for anything other than getting the timing close enough to start up and for using as a reference like I suggested. Then let us know the results.

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Agnem you could ask him directly which pump.

If the supplier of your injectors rhymes with Pensacola, you might have a leaker. You would need to get them pop tested to see. Maybe there is a local shop that can test them for you. If not, I'd contact @Thewespaul , @Agnem or @typ4 about injectors or pumps.

That's the problem with injectors. Easiest way to diagnose a bad pump is to KNOW the injectors are good. You could probably pull the injectors and have a look at them. See if any are wet. Move them around and see if the wet tips follows the injectors.

Maybe Wes will opine on the off idle high rpm smoking. No chance it's your air filter?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, the off brand injectors are a little worrisome so that could be compounding your fuel issues, however from your description I would say your problem is the injection pump. At partial throttle when driving the throttle shaft is just starting to engage the light load advance cam on the driver side of the pump and reliefs transfer pressure by revealing the passage inside the advance piston normally sealed off by the internal plunger. This is to alter the timing at light load situations to improve cruising fuel economy, throttle response and to keep the engine quieter in those situations. If your transfer pump blades and liner are worn out (very common on original pumps with our poor quality modern diesel fuel) then the pump will actually drop transfer pressure so low that it cannot extend the pumping plungers against the cam ring and will result in a bad misfire and white/grey smoke until you change the throttle position. Advancing the timing will probably improve it short term, but wont do anything to fix the long term issues with the pump. I can rebuild and upgrade your pump to handle that 14k lbs much better as well as improve on some of the antiquated designs to better handle our modern diesel fuel. You can read about these upgrades and check out the various calibrations I offer for these DB2s on my site https://classicdieseldesigns.com/

With as heavy as the truck is, I would recommend going with a 90cc or 110cc pump to wake up your IDI and make pulling that weight around an easier task for the engine. I'm also doing a preorder sale on intercooler and intake kits for your truck that would do a lot for egt control and bring your IDI up to modern diesel performance standards with the reliability and advantages of a mechanical diesel engine.
https://classicdieseldesigns.com/collections/new-product-preorders/products/cdd-intercooler-kit

JL65

Reaction score
Thanks for the replys. I went ahead and ordered my own pop tester since I can use it on other jobs, so I'll check those tomorrow and see how bad I messed up with these injectors.
Thewespaul- that definitely explains a lot, I'd definitely be interested in getting this pump rebuilt. I'll let you guys know the results in the next day or two

JL65

Reaction score
So took longer then I expected due to work but I managed to pull all 8 injectors and test them and wouldn't ya know 4 tested out right bad and 1 wouldn't pop till 2k psi. So I pulled my old ones out (cause I'm a pack rat not gunna lie) and tested them. Managed to find 4 good ones and stuffed them in there. Truck runs wayyyy smoother now, still has that smoke at partial throttle goin down hill but I know I'll prolly have to just get a new pump. I'm thinking a pump from conistoga and injectors to match, any objections to those guy???
Also one more wierd question that I'm sure is nothing but my rear fuel tank gauge does not work so I kinda judge my fuel level off miles. Ive noticed when the tank is pretty much bone dry and I'm about to run out of fuel I get a sudden burst of power from the engine that only lasts about a second or two then goes back to normal power..... I've figured out that hard way that it means I have about 2 minutes before I'm outa fuel. I'm guessing it's just air intrusion messing with the timing of the fuel but just wanted to see what you guys thought. Thanks for all the help

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Ive noticed when the tank is pretty much bone dry and I'm about to run out of fuel I get a sudden burst of power from the engine that only lasts about a second or two then goes back to normal power.....

East bound on I-80 in Wyoming, I kept experiencing that sudden boost a couple years ago in my NA F250. I had plenty of fuel and wasn't *that* high up altitude wise, so I dunno what it was about. It would go on for longer than a second or two though. It seemed like the wind gusts had something to do with it.

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
I have heard nothing but good things about conistoga and they have a good rep on this forum as well as r&d idi performance and Classic Diesel Designs. I got a nice set of injectors from @Thewespaul at Classic Diesel Designs that I am still amazed with and as soon as funds allow I will be getting one of his upgraded pumps as well as one of his upgraded turbos. But from what I have read around here, any of these guys are g2g for injectors and pumps. I'm sure there is one more that I am forgetting that is highly revered here as well for their pumps and injectors and whatnot.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'm thinking a pump from conistoga and injectors to match, any objections to those guy???
That's what I'm running in my truck. I'm happy with them.
I'm guessing it's just air intrusion messing with the timing of the fuel but just wanted to see what you guys thought.
That's what it sounds like to me too.
I'm sure there is one more that I am forgetting that is highly revered here as well for their pumps and injectors and whatnot.[/QUOTE
You're thinking of Russ (Typ4).

SlippyRider

Reaction score
Also one more wierd question that I'm sure is nothing but my rear fuel tank gauge does not work so I kinda judge my fuel level off miles. Ive noticed when the tank is pretty much bone dry and I'm about to run out of fuel I get a sudden burst of power from the engine that only lasts about a second or two then goes back to normal power..... I've figured out that hard way that it means I have about 2 minutes before I'm outa fuel. I'm guessing it's just air intrusion messing with the timing of the fuel but just wanted to see what you guys thought. Thanks for all the help

I've got a tank with a broken fuel gauge and I've also noticed what feels like a short, intermittent power boost just before it goes completely empty. I figured same as you, air intrusion messing with the timing.

JL65

Reaction score
I've got a tank with a broken fuel gauge and I've also noticed what feels like a short, intermittent power boost just before it goes completely empty. I figured same as you, air intrusion messing with the timing.

Glad I'm not the only crazy one out here :D:D

JL65

Reaction score
The burst of power is the metering valve automatically opening (full throttle) to attempt to purge the air.

Good to know thanks Thewespaul. As soon as funds permit it I'll shoot you message about a new pump and a match set of injectors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online