fuel injection replacement question

912504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If a fuel injection pump says it is for High Altitude that means it puts out less fuel to the injectors correct? I want to pick the correct unit that will give me the most fuel possible. I am in the midwest so altitude isnt an issue.
I was shopping on Autozones website and they show a few different units for sale. All seemed to be well priced. Has anyone put one of their pumps in before and how do you like it?

Thanks, Eric

912504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know I should.

I will probably end up with a pump from Ken.
I just wondered what does it mean when a pump is listed as either high altitude or arctic package?
It seems to my simple mind that the highaltitude pump would be set with less fuel and more air per injection.
Using the same logic the arctic pump would possibly have a higher rate of fuel pumping and less air so it would be able to get up to temperature quicker or at all in the sub zero temps. :Sly

The zone is soooooo cheap $289.00 and no shipping to deal with. the core charge is $115.00 or something like that.
They dont show any availability for the 93-94 turbo diesel injection pump yet though. . :backoff :mad: -cuss

Does anyone know how much Ken would charge to convert a 91 pump to the 93-94 turbo stage 1 specs? I already have the injectors in there I just need more fuel pumping into them.

Curious,
Eric

akoldnav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am pretty sure the Arctic Package means that some of the internal components are better able to withstand straight #1 diesel. Number 1 is a very dry fuel that does not Gel down to -40 or -50 degF or maybe colder, lubrication should be added.

I don't know what high altitude means, but I would think the pump could be turned up to compensate for flatlanders.

akoldnav

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Yes a high altitude pump puts out less fuel to compensate for the lack of air, and possibly a different timing spec. They give more power at altitude, but less on the flats.

I havn't looked for the adjustments on these things yet , but on european auto diesels the older ones have instructions for adjusting the injected volume and timing for altitude ( newer ones have automatic adjusting pumps with altitude compensators )

-----------Robert

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
As far as I know Ken uses the 7.3 pump (he rattled off some numbers to me) and machines some piston do hickey, among various other modifications to make his pumps. He'd probably charge you his advertised rate, but if you want YOUR pump back you'd probably have to wait a while.

The last time I talked to him (been a while) he was having a hard time finding the right pumps to make his mods.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calroc