Fuel injection line replacement?

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When ever you see these trucks in the Yards, grab the IP`s with the fuel lines, PNP refers to this as a Spider and sells it for around $50. Cheaper this way than buying just the hard lines, which they charge seperately.

Not nickels difference between the lines 83 - 94 except for the 7.3 IDI that has the adapter for the front left one, and that hard line is a bit shorter w/o the adapter.

Check your junk yards in your area to see what they have. Maybe everything is rusted out and nothing any good, IDK.

Maybe use a dab of Anti-Seiz on the Injector threads and you won`t have the problem next time.

Goat

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anti-seize is always a good idea. But this didn't seize at the threads. It seized where the nut contacts the fuel line. So now turning the nut twists the fuel line with it.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anti-seize is always a good idea. But this didn't seize at the threads. It seized where the nut contacts the fuel line. So now turning the nut twists the fuel line with it.
I was wrong. You were right. I hadn't realized that I was actually unscrewing the injector by turning the fuel line nut (and twisting the fuel line at the same time). I held the injector and then broke the nut free and replaced the last injector.
Now to deal with the twisted fuel line. It still lines up well. I just don't know if I cracked it or reduced the inside diameter. I'll give it a try.

As a side note...that twisted line, when I got it off the injector, was flopping around loose.
I realized the nut holding it to the pump was very loose. I could spin it with my fingers. So I had to remove the 2 lines above it to get a wrench in there. While loosening the others I noticed they weren't very tight. I'd say finger tight + maybe 1/8 of a turn (if that). Is it best to not tighten those very much?

I'm starting to think I should have just removed the whole spider for this job, as some recommend.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it's running. And that twisted line doesn't appear to be leaking.
I have a couple others leaking at the top of the injector and one at the base of an injector.
Had no leaks before I started messing with it.
Will mess with it when it cools down (tomorrow). Hopefully they just need to be tightened.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Glad the line is not leaking. As for the fuel leak, it could be the o rings from the fuel return caps, they sometimes don't like to cooperate.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad the line is not leaking. As for the fuel leak, it could be the o rings from the fuel return caps, they sometimes don't like to cooperate.
So I should order more new ones?
I guess trying some of the old (not very old and weren't leaking) ones wouldn't be worth the effort?

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I would never reuse an o ring there, especially with how you have to move the line out of the way. New o rings always, not even some that have been 'sitting around for a while' they can start to dry out just from sitting in a hot garage.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Staff online