Fuel heater

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I think it's internally self limiting. But it may only get power while the cold advance and high idle are on. See if you can trace the wire?

What would happen if someone dropped the voltage of a glowplug to say like 3 or 4 volts? Would that bring the temp range down?

vanet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So no one has had to replace the fuel heater? I hate to spend $75 just to find out it wont fit! Anyone? A little help here. Thanks

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I'm still not convinced we really need the fuel heaters. Do they do anything for the fuel system or was this an engineering idea that was not founded for most climates... Anyone running it the frigid climates will be running a fuel additive to stop fuel freezing problems...

Dave 001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it's internally self limiting. But it may only get power while the cold advance and high idle are on. See if you can trace the wire?

It is powered anytime the key is in the RUN or START position. It is not powered thru the high idle/cold advance temperature switch. I believe I read somewhere (but can't remember where) that it does have its own built in thermostat that shuts off the heater above a certain temperature. Gotta' look in my manuals and see if that's were I read that.

vanet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need it to stop fuel leaking from the plug where it plugs in. Not sure if it will serve any other purpose.

Dave 001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish I could tell you "yes" or "no" as to whether or not the different fuel heaters will interchange but I can't. However, just replace the o-rings. It's no harder to replace the o-rings than it is to replace the heater.

vanet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The plastic part on mine is broken. I took it apart to replace the o-rins, and found a crack on the part that sticks up through the filter that the plug goes to. I will need a new one.:dunno

Dave 001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well thats a good reason not to just replace the o-rings. Wish I could help. Consider being the guinea pig....buy the new fuel heater and then you can teach us if they interchange.

I would say probably yes but I don't know for sure. And I don't want you to spend your money on my "probably yes".

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced the fuel heater in the filter head of my 1994 a couple of years ago. It was leaking at the fitting, and I thought as long as I was "going in", I might as well replace the whole thing and not just the orings, becuase I did not think it was working anyway. The one that I took out looked like your picture of the two piece heater. The one I installed looked like your picture of the one piece heater. If fit and works fine, and the best part is that is no longer leaks. The Ford part number on the heater is F2TZ-9J294-A and I think I bought mine from Dieselmann http://www.intellidog.com/dieselmann/ford.htm I had one hell of a time loosening up the threaded brass stem (that the filter screws onto) that the heater plate is held captive under. If you have the brass stem out, then the hard part is over. Remember to lubricate your orings when installing them on the new heater and you should be good to go.

lilredtdi

Reaction score
I replaced the fuel heater in the filter head of my 1994 a couple of years ago. It was leaking at the fitting, and I thought as long as I was "going in", I might as well replace the whole thing and not just the orings, becuase I did not think it was working anyway. The one that I took out looked like your picture of the two piece heater. The one I installed looked like your picture of the one piece heater. If fit and works fine, and the best part is that is no longer leaks. The Ford part number on the heater is F2TZ-9J294-A and I think I bought mine from Dieselmann http://www.intellidog.com/dieselmann/ford.htm I had one hell of a time loosening up the threaded brass stem (that the filter screws onto) that the heater plate is held captive under. If you have the brass stem out, then the hard part is over. Remember to lubricate your orings when installing them on the new heater and you should be good to go.

^^^^^^^^^^^What he said. Mine was the same way. The nut to remove the filter thread is very thin and really big. I did not have a wrench big enough to fit it and resorted to the fitsall wrench. I was sure worried about rounding it off. Once off it is a 5 minute job.

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The one piece fits just fine and Ford and International bolth list that as the replacment part, Ford wanted $190 and International wanted $150, I just got mine off ebay for $74 plus shipping and didn't get hit with customs (joys of living in Canada, everything is 3x as much :rolleyes: ) the heater is always powered and has a built in thermastat, put it in the fridge for half hour to get it to turn on, also the heater is there to prevent the fuel filter from getting plugged, the desiel in the lines and injection pump will just get pushed out from the high pressure so if it waxes the ip and injectors don't care and still spray it out. Waxing only has a problem where a restiction is aka fuel filter. And the brass nut takes a 1-1/4" socket or wrench.

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Dzlnut

Reaction score
For the guys who are removing the heater and plugging the hole, what are you using as a plug?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Some members use rtv and some use JB Weld. As posted above some thread it for a pipe plug. the use the national pipe taps that cut a tapered thread. I do not have the size they use but its easy to figure that out. Just fit a tap into the hole where the electrical plug was. You may need to drill it out for the tap too. I have the drill sizes if anyone wants them...