Fuel Heater Quit

wbw189

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could not start my truck this morning; no power in the cab. I checked my fuse link and found it blown. New fuse and it blew, also. I chased the wiring diagram until I unplugged the fuel heater, then I did not blow anymore fuses. What options do I have for replacement?

Background: I replaced the fusible link last summer when it burned up. I place a 10A inline with a weather proof holder. No problems until now. You gotta love being able to jumper you glow plugs and then the fuel solenoid to get back on the road!:thumbsup:

Thanks,

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Ford sells what you need but take this heater apart first... Se why it broke. I found mine had broken loose a soldered joint. So I soldered it back together. Really still don't know if it really works... We never have a need for that out here on the west coast.... I wonder if this has something to do with the fuel supply to the pump... Maybe the pump "needs" fuel to be a certain temp to be injected properly....:dunno:sly

wbw189

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't see how to pull this one apart. It looks like a window weight around the fuel line with wire coming out of one end. Any ideas?

Thanks,

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Ok... Sorry bout that... I was refering to the 7.3 fliter head heater... I really don't know what to say other than upgrade to the much easier 7.3 filter head with the peater in it...

MR.T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 10 A fuse might blow too quickly, a fuse link is a very slow blow item. Current to a heater may be higher initially, blowing a fuse, but a fuse link survives.

wbw189

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Mr. T. I did not see a small enough replacement, so I went with the fuse holder. I could find a slow acting fuse...

Thank you and Happy New Year to All!!!!!

MR.T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could try a slow-blow, and a higher amperage of maybe 30 amps (or more). I doubt any cartridge fuse comes close to the slow-blow characteristics of a fusible link. A fusible link is only for protecting wire from dead shorts, hence the suggestion to use a much larger fuse then 10 amps. Parts stores around here have quite a few sizes of fuse links, and of course there's a huge selection on-line.

:sly An old farmer trick for making a fusible link is with a 6" wire that's 4 gauges numerically higher. So a 14 gauge wire could be protected with a 6" section of 18 gauge wire. Add some heat-shrink for more flame-proofing so if it blows, it doesn't short out touching nearby metal.

wbw189

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good call, Mr. T. I had forgotten about the smaller wire option. I like the extra heat shrink idea! Now I will have something to play with tomorrow. Kind of stinks not having a garage or barn, yet. Sounds like a 2011 Resolution.;Sweet

Thanks, Ben