Fuel Additives

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not convinced the ULSD standard is being adhered to. Maybe 20% of the time I get 'clear' diesel that basically odorless; the rest of the time its classic stinky green stuff - like 25 years ago. So if 80% of my fuel doesn't have its lubricity damaged, why dose all the time?

Probably because of COVID :)

ComatoseLlama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
https://rivrdog.typepad.com/files/copy-of-diesel-fuel-additive-version-3.pdf

I'm guessing that most people on this board have seen this page before, but here is a good independent study into the claims and actual effectiveness of different fuel additives made to improve lubricity.

50:1 diesel:biodiesel was found to be the best, followed by Opti Lube - XPD. Marvel mystery oil was found to make it worse (I wouldn't have guessed that)

Stanadyne came in at #8, but is by far the cheapest to use, 5x cheaper than XPD. That's some good value!

Last edited:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Stanadyne came in at #8, but is by far the cheapest to use, 5x cheaper than XPD. That's some good value!
I don't know about today, but back in 2007 when this chart came out Opti Lube summer blend was the cheapest. That's why tight backside runs it. I don't need the best, but it's #4 according to this chart and that's good enough for me. I run it all year around. I will add some antigel if it's going to be below 0* just to be safe. Otherwise, I don't even bother.

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
https://rivrdog.typepad.com/files/copy-of-diesel-fuel-additive-version-3.pdf

I'm guessing that most people on this board have seen this page before, but here is a good independent study into the claims and actual effectiveness of different fuel additives made to improve lubricity.

50:1 diesel:biodiesel was found to be the best, followed by Opti Lube - XPD. Marvel mystery oil was found to make it worse (I wouldn't have guessed that)

Interesting test and I found this one some time back, in turn have been using the hot shots everday.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Tim McKay

Reaction score
I was using regular Buna-N o-rings and like you, they would leak after a few years. I heard the other guys using viton. I heard rumors they may be stiffer and harder to seal, but I got some and they sealed good and they have been lasting better than the regular hydraulic style o-rings. McMaster Carr sells them.

Former Automotive Sealing Engineer here, so this is right in my wheel house.
Yes the Viton Seals will make a difference. Viton has a wider range of chemical resistance than Buna N, and a higher temperature range capability also. It will cost more, as the raw material is about 20x of the Buna N Nitrile. Also, if you have a choice of manufactures when you purchase, go to the name you are familiar with, typically they are made to a higher quality level.... few small manufacturers of O-rings even have a quality system.
Be sure to lube the O-ring before you push it over the injector, not doing so is the easiest way to damage it, and create a leak path for air and fuel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance