Front Sending Unit

6.9_Idi

6.9idi Owner
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I got front and rear sending units for my truck from Christmas and I want to change the front one today. I was wondering if it is as easy as taking the old one out and dropping in the new one or do I have to drop the fuel tank and make sure there is no air in it? Any info or advice would be great!

Thanks,
Daniel

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can try it. Stick your head up between the driveshaft and the tank, you can see the sending unit and the lines. I have messed with the lines with it installed. You might be able to squirm the sending unit out of the tank. The hard part is going to be loosening the lockring with a screwdriver and a hammer.

Don't worry about any air, it will work itself out through the return system.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The front sending unit is easy to remove with the tank in the truck. As already posted. Just look up between the driveshaft and the tank. Find the lock ring. Might try cleaning off this area because of the dirt that collects there from years of driving. A small wire brush and penetrating oil loosen it up. Once you remove the electrical and the supply plus return lines the sender just lifts out. Make sure the red duck bill return line piece stays of that side or you will loose the returns to the tank. Supply is 3/8 and return is 5/16.
One more thing to note is the special locating pin so the sender can only be installed the correct orientation to the lines and electrical. Once you see everything I have mentioned you will easily understand how simple this is really.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
The easiest way to make the change is to take the driveshaft off of the transmission and move it out of the way. Plenty of room to operate then.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726