front fenders rusted out

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
Has anyone replaced their front fenders with aftermarket (LMC truck, JC Whitney) and what are your opinions of the quality/fit of the aftermarket fenders? Is it better to try to find a used set that aren't rusted out? (assuming it is still possible) It would be nice to have a set made of stainless steel or aluminum but I don't think either is available. Any comments/suggestions/experience will help with my replacement. Thanks!

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aftermarket panels are very hit and miss, Fenders are usually OK, doors are usually horrible...
Personally, if you can find good OE ones, that is the way to go. It's definitley still possible, I just finished changing out the drivers side one on my 96 for one from a 94. LOL

Last edited:

biggin92

Yeeeee Haaawwww
Reaction score
:urinatei completly agree search for those beauty's in the junkyard cause aftermarket panels freakin suck

Diezel_Cowboy

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I have heard from people I've talked too that the aftermarket fenders are of poor quality/fit. I just don't know if junk yard replacements in Ohio (winter road salt country) are going to be easy to find in shape good enough to justify a transplant.
Has anybody actually used the aftermarket fenders?

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
On my old 85 I had it had an aftermarket fender on it, not put on by me but by the PO, the body lines didnt really fit and it was really really thin metal.

DBell

Reaction score
I've heard good things about Dennis Carpenter, they use original Ford tooling. Made in the USA.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you want to rid yourself of the problem for good, go to USBodySource and get a 1 piece fiberglass tilt front end for your 86'. ;Sweet

The reason your 86' fender (and I assume that's the one your asking about) rusted out, is that dumb inner fender well that extends back towards the door. Cut that sucker off! Dirt and mud lay up on there, and against the inside of the fender. I discovered this on the Moose Truck too late, but others should whack that plastic off and save themselves.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
I used replacement fenders on my 93 and they took a few tries and some hole massaging before they fit but after that they lined up fine and I had them on for atleast 5 years and they showed no signs of rust

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I bought two fenders from Pro Body Parts for $150 put the door. I figgured for that price I would have to spend it in beer to make the fenders fit.

Surprisingly they went on with hardly any screwing around at all.

You must be registered for see images attach

Diezel_Cowboy

Reaction score
Some useful information here. GE i appreciate the pictures! It sounds like the usual some have good luck with aftermarket and others do not. I still appreciate the input and experience. By the way to clarify I am talking about the 1994 truck not my 86. The 86 is no big deal just slap some more expanda foam and orange paint on her, however, the 94 is my good truck and I like to keep it nice but the Ohio winters are taking their toll on the front clip now that the rear has been replaced with aluminum. Thanks guys and by all means keep the comments coming if you have more to add.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the way I want to go if times get tough. ;Sweet

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Mel, I checked out USbodysource and that might be the ticket! It is expensive ($1900) but at least it wouldn't rust anymore.

Don't do what I did and be in a hurry to install the fenders without paint. Paint them first and before you install, LOAD the inside with Rust Check or some equivalent rust preventor spray. Trust me, if you spray it once or twice per day over 3 or 4 days before installing them, you wont have much of a rust problem for at least a few years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle