Frantz Bypass Oil Filter

swervyjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a Frantz as a fuel filter for a while. It caught a lot of junk a 2 micron CAT filter (1r-0749) let by.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol, now Im really confused. So its an additional filter kit used in conjunction with the stock oil filter?
ya after the pump pumps oil through your 20 or 30 micron oil filter it bypasses a small but constant amount through the tp and dumps it directly back in the pan

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes the oil will remain black most of its life, when using Bypass filters the idea is to extend the life of the oil to save coin, so if the engine is in perfect mechanical condition the best way to determine oil life is to purchase a oil analysis sample kit, this will tell you the condition of the engine and the condition of the oil and remaining life.

If you did everything right an typical oil change using a bypass filter will last you at "least" 20,000 miles.

I made it 47,000 miles with the oil still in good condition but ran my IDI a bit to hard one night and bit the
bullet and scuffed a cylinder, collapsed lower hose at full throttle about 8 miles worth of fooling around.

Typically the bypass filter will remove all contaminate to less than 1 micron and the returning oil has a term called Analytically clean. worth every penny when used on any engine especially diesel.

I wont run any of my engines without it.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like a pretty good setup.
How does a person know when the TP is done filtering or full of junk???
Also, this looks like a pretty good use for that "crappy" thin rolls of TP.:D

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You periodically feel the outlet hose. As long as it's as hot as the inlet, you know you have good flow. Frantz efficiency is highly variable according to the type of TP use but it's the cheapest bypass element around.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You periodically feel the outlet hose. As long as it's as hot as the inlet, you know you have good flow. Frantz efficiency is highly variable according to the type of TP use but it's the cheapest bypass element around.

Never a good idea to wait until it is cool to the touch, a oil analysis will be much better way to determine when it tis time to change filters.

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you gotta spend $20-25 to find out it's time to change the filter? Kinda cuts into the profit margin, doesn't it? Spend $20 to learn when the right time to change a 25 cent roll of TP? Much simpler and cheaper to compare the inlet and outlet line temps. In fact, that's what many pros will recommend as well.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Along those lines a person could change the roll of TP every month and be good.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you gotta spend $20-25 to find out it's time to change the filter? Kinda cuts into the profit margin, doesn't it? Spend $20 to learn when the right time to change a 25 cent roll of TP? Much simpler and cheaper to compare the inlet and outlet line temps. In fact, that's what many pros will recommend as well.

you can barely focus can you? It is way cheaper to sample oil. If you are doing it right you wont need to change your oil ever unless you have a damaged engine.
If you are using a bypass filter your oil will last 4/5 times longer, are you saving a $80 oil change? $50? $30? some of you guys take oil from work, well those guys learn nothing and are probably waiting for a cheese check in the mail.

I went 5 years without an oil change my first oil sample 40,000 miles later came back "Good for continued use" I was doing it right!

Been there done that! I probably have over 50 oil analysis sheets I have paid for from myself and other vehicles learning the ropes, I guess if you go to the doctor with a problem they simply just change your blood without any data gathering...

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To start with, eat my shorts you arrogant freak.

It's not necessarily cheaper to sample the oil than to change it. It depends on what oil you are using. If you are drinking the Amsoil coolaid it definitely is. What you said about the oil lasting 4-5 X longer is sometimes true (depending on the operational environment) but it applies to ANY oil, from a $4/qt mineral to a 15/qt PAO synthetic. Anyway, I'm not planing to debate this with you because you are a fool and my Dad taught me not to get in ******* contests with skunks. I just added some technical content so I could tell you to eat my shorts.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To start with, eat my shorts you arrogant freak.

It's not necessarily cheaper to sample the oil than to change it. It depends on what oil you are using. If you are drinking the Amsoil coolaid it definitely is. What you said about the oil lasting 4-5 X longer is sometimes true (depending on the operational environment) but it applies to ANY oil, from a $4/qt mineral to a 15/qt PAO synthetic. Anyway, I'm not planing to debate this with you because you are a fool and my Dad taught me not to get in ******* contests with skunks. I just added some technical content so I could tell you to eat my shorts.

Understanding why oil analysis saves you time and money is not sourced from emotional outbreaks.
Try to gather yourself so you can learn.

Taking time away from education to berate others is not beneficial to anyone here.

After all once your truck is complete and road worthy the most important job as an owner
is the fluids oil, coolant, fuel that are selected to keep our trucks on the road.

with so many selections yes this can make a person go nuts trying to decide what is best.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online