Frame Paint

aaklingler

Reaction score
What's a good primer and paint to use on the frame of my truck? I'm going to be getting it sand blasted. Remember we salt the roads here. I'm looking for the good and bad reviews of products tried on frames, bumpers or any similar surface by any members of the site.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I use rubberized undercoating for years and all seems good. Then again, I don't drive much on the salt and if I do I wash the underside of the truck .

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've allways used a good ruberized undercoating. As long as you have the frame clean it should stick. I like to try to get it down to bare metal if possible. Rustolium works well too, as long as you use a good automotive primer.

RedTruck

Reaction score
Take this for what it's worth.

I have sandblasted and primed my chassis, then covered it with herculiner. It looks nice but in no way does it protect as well as they claim.

I think undercoating is great, but I think it is best suited for hard to reach places or for patch work.

I have not ever used POR15 myself, but I have friends that have used it and they swear by it. It dries very hard and supposedly if applied right is unbelievably durable. You brush it on, it self levels, and looks great when it's done. It is a little expensive, but If you are looking for the best do-it-yourself way of protecting your chassis I just don't think you can beat this stuff.

I have been told that 3M has an epoxy based undercoating now. It dries hard and you can paint over the top of it. I haven't found one shred of information on the internet that supports this claim, but it would be neat stuff if you could find a body shop that uses it.

Good luck with your project,

Paul

BROWNIEBOY525

The old fleet
Reaction score
man and people claimed i was the only nut that painted my frame lol.i had people looking at me like i was crazy when they seen what i was doing. i did mine last year with a product called zero rust and it looks great! i refuesed to pay 45 buck for a quart of por 15. zero rust is half the price and it holds just as good. i go off road alot and it has been hit with rocks and lasted threw one winter so far and i still cant find a nick in it. the best part is you dont even have to get the frame down to bare metal it goes right over rust and seals it in. me personaly i dont like under coating if not applied right it will peal off then trap water and dirt behind it :puke: not good plus i dont think its as durable as zero rust.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I bought the Moose Truck, I had the dealer put undercoating on it. Now, and starting a few years ago, the rubberized undercoat is very brittle, and is flaking off. I won't use that stuff again, and it was probably better then, than it is now, considering the number of harmfull chemicals in it that were probably outlawed. LOL

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've used POR15 on several different projects. The stuff is expensive but goes a very long way, dries ceramic hard and looks great. If its on the frame you probably won't need to topcoat it since it wont be in direct sunlight. More recently I painted a sand blasted frame using an HVLP spray gun from harbor freight which made getting paint inside a boxed frame much easier. Good stuff, goes right over rust.

-Rob

Reaction score
I painted the front bumper of my mail jeep with POR 15. I wished they made it in white so I could do the whole body. I didn't know about needing a top coat. What's gunna happen?

madcj8

Reaction score
Wow, im suprised no one has brought up eastwood's chassis black! I painted my jeep frame with it 6 months ago and it has been sitting outside since. now the frame was pretty rusty to start out with so i had sandblasted the entire thing, and i havent had any rust through. It still looks as good as the day i painted it. It is pretty durable too, I had to grind it off to be able to modify my frame some more