found the problem

GaPchNCrm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Eric- We are aiming for the weekend of April 7th. Mainly because thats the first weekend that we are both off at the same time, and I want to be home so I can visit with Bethan and the girls. If you can come help that would be absolutely wonderful! Thanks!

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Eric- We are aiming for the weekend of April 7th. Mainly because thats the first weekend that we are both off at the same time, and I want to be home so I can visit with Bethan and the girls. If you can come help that would be absolutely wonderful! Thanks!

Sorry to see this and my offer still stands to shuttle something coming down the east coast here towards Eric if needed. I'm near Fayetteville, NC very close to GEO.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well darn... Sounds like you have your hands full for now. If you choose to just patch it up I have 15 used rods with pistons and rings . I'll mic them and send you the best I have if that helps any. Just let me know.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So how did you manage to blow up a valve by changing your injectors? :eek:

Sorry to hear! :( Hope Peppermint is back in shape soon. If there is anything I can do to help, let me know.

hoodshauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont know how we blew a valve by changing injectors but if it can be done I can do it.

ICAN - thanks for the offer will let you know if i need anything.
TONKA - thanks to you too if we need something shuttled you will get the call

beginning to think i maybe another travis in the making ( no offense Travis)
I have never thought about rebuilding one of these motors. I am thinking I might try to rebuild the motor we take out. right now we are looking at putting a used motor in to get the truck back on the road ASAP. We had accually planned on putting a rebuilt motor in this spring. But things didnt go as planned and the money was not there and then this happened.

My question is how hard is rebuilding one of these motors? I have rebuilt gassers from v-8 to 4 bangers and VW Bugs so i do have some motor rebuild sense.Have even helped with cummings and detroit diesel rebuilds.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you've rebuilt gassers and helped on diesels before you shouldn't have any problem..... Attention to detail, cleanliness, proper tools, a good network of knowledge here and a good manual will take you through it.

Might want to consider a reman long block too from a source like this place that only works on GM, Ford and Cummins diesels too. May be more cost effective in the end as well as less downtime not to mention a warrenty.

It's time consuming to rebuid too, especially the first time you do a particular engine.

GaPchNCrm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you've rebuilt gassers and helped on diesels before you shouldn't have any problem..... Attention to detail, cleanliness, proper tools, a good network of knowledge here and a good manual will take you through it.

Might want to consider a reman long block too from a source like this place that only works on GM, Ford and Cummins diesels too. May be more cost effective in the end as well as less downtime not to mention a warrenty.

It's time consuming to rebuid too, especially the first time you do a particular engine.

(BJ)->Thanks for the web page that maybe a better option for us I got to checking around today to rebuild will cost almost as much as a reman. And a warrenty is a BIG plus;Sweet

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(BJ)->Thanks for the web page that maybe a better option for us I got to checking around today to rebuild will cost almost as much as a reman. And a warrenty is a BIG plus;Sweet

You're welcome. I've looked into rebuilding the PSD vs putting in a long block or complete engine too when I was diagnosing the cold start problems and found that there wasn't much difference in price for me to do the work or to buy a long block.

RHINO is another that has long blocks to complete drop in engines at decent prices too with a 2 year / unlimited miles nationwide warrenty.

Jasper is another but IMHO their prices are too high

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
BJ, Tanya...

Take it from my experience... I have rebuilt and purchased long blocks... When all the dust settles the price is the same. Been there done that...

First time was rebuild from ground up - following times - have long block shipped in - cost same - down time = much less... just uncrate and start boltiing on the accessories (manifolds, oil cooler, injeciton system and front brackets) then drop it in... this can be done in one day if you already have engine out. Then next day your puttering around with the core in the bed rolling smoke and trying to blow up the one under the hood and looking at what performance mods you can do to get more power out of the current mill... cookoo :D :D

GaPchNCrm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the donor engine is set to arrive day after tomorrow so I guess this weekend is the weekend. I'll be sure to take plenty of pics!

GaPchNCrm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:rotflmao Must be that durned woman driver:D ;Poke :popcorn

I'll go hide now

:shoot: :idiot: :kick:

The first engine died when BJ was actually driving it. The 2cd one we replaced before it completely died. It was still working. This last one was with me. So I guess we are about even. I would like to point out that the one BJ killed died on him completely- it just shut off as he was going down the road. When mine died I pulled it over and shut it off because I knew there was a problem. So there. LOL

:sucks

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
Man did you all see the price difference between that first link and the Rhino link I could buy 2 turbo motors for the price of one at Rhino kinda makes you go hhmmmmmmm.

or there was even a 5.9 I saw there

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726