Ford with a John Deere Diesel

RustyBolts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am more familiar with industrial Deere than AG, so what is the size weight difference compared to a Cummins 5.9L in the engine of your choice? I dont see cooling even being an issue, since you will flow WAY more air to it than it is accustomed to being as it will be traveling faster than 25mph. Mounting and weight would be my first concern.

The difference between a 5.9 Cummins and a 404/466 Deere you ask? Displacement, Dimensions, and Mounting arrangement. Have you ever looked at a New Generation Deere (3010,3020, 4010,4020,4430, etc)? the engine bolts directly to the framerails, which are 20" apart, via 4 mounting pads on the block that take 2 or 4 bolts depending on year and size. These mounting bosses are at the frond and rear of the engine, and there is nothing in the middle. On our 4520 which has a 404 Turbo, from the rear of the bellhousing to the rear of the radiator is 42", and from the mounting bosses to the top of the valve cover is 24"(I think). the Oil pan hangs down about 8", and the frame rails are 20" apart, and the engine mounts inside of them. As For Displacement, 404CID = 6.6L and 466CID = 7.6L.

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
Midland Tractor, Madera CA has done the 404/466 swap on a 1 ton Ford.

I helped them fab a custom exhaust manifold for it in the 80's, the engine was brand new I think. Was waaaay to expensive to think about back then, so I didn't think about it too much.

I beleive they are still under the same ownership, maybe they remember?

Captain Morgan

Pipeline Mechanic
Reaction score
To answer the question about have I seen the engine in a tractor? NO, I dont farm and working on farm tractors doesn't pay very well.........

Now I did some checking and the 404 is used in the old 690B Excavators, it is a very pricey 150hp engine. I have never had one to "experiment" with to see "how many turns of the fuel screw" will lead to a terminal event.

Do you have one of these engines on hand to do a swap with? I know exactly how they mount in construction applications and there would be some considerable fabrication to be done.

It will take a fairly talented individual to fab in a way to disperse the torque evenly across the truck frame to avoid over stressing. It is all doable though.

John Deere

Reaction score
This is just my opinion, but I would not secure the engine to the frame of a pickup as Deere did in its tractors, a pickup frame is designed to have twist and flex, and anywhere you make it rigid puts more stress next to the rigid area. We have broken so many frames on pickups that have had a very rigid flatbed mounted securely to them. I would suggest mounting those 4 corners of the engine with rubber engine mounts of some sort.

RustyBolts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Midland Tractor, Madera CA has done the 404/466 swap on a 1 ton Ford.

I helped them fab a custom exhaust manifold for it in the 80's, the engine was brand new I think. Was waaaay to expensive to think about back then, so I didn't think about it too much.

I beleive they are still under the same ownership, maybe they remember?

Do you have any contact info on them?

RustyBolts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is just my opinion, but I would not secure the engine to the frame of a pickup as Deere did in its tractors, a pickup frame is designed to have twist and flex, and anywhere you make it rigid puts more stress next to the rigid area. We have broken so many frames on pickups that have had a very rigid flatbed mounted securely to them. I would suggest mounting those 4 corners of the engine with rubber engine mounts of some sort.

That actually sounds lots better. Thanks.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I was in vo-tech in Canfield, Ohio one of the guys in the class came to school in his families farm truck. It had a JD 4 cylinder in it. I still think that it is the coolest thing I have ever seen.

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
Midland Tractor 559 674 8757

It may take a while for anyone to remember since it was around 1988, but the truck belonged to the owner as I recall, and as far as I know they are still the same ownership.

RustyBolts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Garbage Man, I'll give them a call and see if anyone can tell me a thing or two. I'll let y'all know what i find out from them. Are they the same ones that have the website www.midland-tractor.com by any chance?

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score

How goes the project? Any luck w/ that place mentioned above?

Sounds like an interesting project for sure. There are adapters out there now a days. Maybe an industrial version of the engine might have the correct bell-housing for adapting, an SAE standard type...assuming that the engine and housing are separate like in a 5.9L Cummins. I just did a fast read on the posting, so I'm not sure about the bell-housing and at the moment, my 3020 JD is in the barn (same set up). But if the block and bell housing are cast, then an adapter is the only way....

In big trucks, said large engines are usually a three point mount. The tranny ends up supporting the rear of the engine while the front has just a front mount. Depending on your tranny choice, you might able to use a tri mount system.

johnnyb1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rustybolts. I think he was the mgr or owner of Matlack Tank Lines [ now Quality Carriers] just outside Lima on 309 that had a chevy with a Duetz engine. I think he built it himself. He wanted more power than the 6.2 had for pulling his grain wagons. Wish I remembered his name. Still had it when I moved 9 yrs ago. It always sat in front of the shop. I noticed you go to Northwestern. Might be worth the few minute drive out there just to see if he's still there.

RustyBolts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How goes the project? Any luck w/ that place mentioned above?

Sounds like an interesting project for sure. There are adapters out there now a days. Maybe an industrial version of the engine might have the correct bell-housing for adapting, an SAE standard type...assuming that the engine and housing are separate like in a 5.9L Cummins. I just did a fast read on the posting, so I'm not sure about the bell-housing and at the moment, my 3020 JD is in the barn (same set up). But if the block and bell housing are cast, then an adapter is the only way....

In big trucks, said large engines are usually a three point mount. The tranny ends up supporting the rear of the engine while the front has just a front mount. Depending on your tranny choice, you might able to use a tri mount system.

No progress as of yet. Engine and bellhousing are cast as one piece. We're currently undecided on a transmission, but will definitely be a manual.

RustyBolts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rustybolts. I think he was the mgr or owner of Matlack Tank Lines [ now Quality Carriers] just outside Lima on 309 that had a chevy with a Duetz engine. I think he built it himself. He wanted more power than the 6.2 had for pulling his grain wagons. Wish I remembered his name. Still had it when I moved 9 yrs ago. It always sat in front of the shop. I noticed you go to Northwestern. Might be worth the few minute drive out there just to see if he's still there.

HMMMMMM. Looks like I'll be taking a drive soon.

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Here is a 404 set up as a power unit. Check out the bell housing. IF that is an SAE type standard, your adapting a tranny MAYBE easier then if it were the standard JD tractor housing (like I said, I haven't went out to look at my 3020). Heck, it might be a SAE standard.... I never looked nor thought of it.

If pic doesn't work, try link: http://www.dieselenginemotor.com/diesel/engines/3986,1.html

Another one: http://www.dieselenginemotor.com/diesel/engines/4013,1.html
This one is turbo-ed.

Just some ideas and things to ponder....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online