Ford with a John Deere Diesel

RustyBolts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dad and I have been toying with the Idea of putting a John Deere Waterloo series 404 or 466 CID Turbo Diesel into a Ford F250/350/F-Superduty truck. Have any of you guys out there heard of anyone else doing this kind of swap, or maybe where parts could be sourced for this, or details on another build?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Never heard of a JD swap. I think everything will have to be custom fabbed. What kind of tranny would you use?

RustyBolts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dad and I have talked about a ZF-5 Speed, and Fabbing up a custom Bellhousing and using the JD clutch if we can't find a better solution form somebody else. Definately no automatics. Truck would have to be 4x4 with a solid axle.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As much as I am not the biggest fan of JDs, I love a good Agricultural swap. Like my staring at my brother's White combine and imagining just how well that Perkins would would fit into a truck of mine...

RustyBolts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dad ans I have been doing some category 5 brainstorming, and we think we may have some solutions for the problems that will arise in a swap like this. If anybody else might have some Ideas, or has seen this before, please let me know.

bigoilburner19

Reaction score
well what type of gauges can you use are u useing the fords or the jd's and liek speed sensors and hell how are you going to make the oil changes and anything else like that accessable or even what type of radiator are you going to you the ford f700 style big and bulky out of a 85 or 86 dump truck or a aluminum and is it going to be 4x4 or not

RustyBolts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well what type of gauges can you use are u useing the fords or the jd's and liek speed sensors and hell how are you going to make the oil changes and anything else like that accessable or even what type of radiator are you going to you the ford f700 style big and bulky out of a 85 or 86 dump truck or a aluminum and is it going to be 4x4 or not

The JD 404 and 466 engines are old enough to be 100% mechanically monitored, so any mechanical guages will work for the engine. The ZF-5 speed won't be an issue either because they have a mechanical speedo drive. The oil changes would be simple because these oil pans have a drain plug in the middle of them. If you had read the entire post, you'd've seen that I already said that it'd have to be a solid axle 4X4 or solid 2WD axle from under an F-SUPERDUTY to support the weight, and the front crossmember will be eliminated, and the way the engine will be mounted will turn it into part of the frame itself. The JD 404/466 has 2, 4 bolt mounting bosses where the engine bolts to the frame in the tractor, these will be utilized in the mounting of the engine, making it part of thee frame in the truck, just as it was in the tractor. We've determined that a stock style HD Pickup radiator will provide sufficient cooling to the engine when used in conjunction with the JD Fan and Water Pump. If we,re proven wrong, the radiator from a 4020 or similar tractor will be made to fit into the truck. Any further questions?

RustyBolts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As much as I am not the biggest fan of JDs, I love a good Agricultural swap. Like my staring at my brother's White combine and imagining just how well that Perkins would would fit into a truck of mine...

Is that a V8, or Inline 6 Perkins? The Perkins 6-354 Turbo is a sweet running engine. This is from an e-mail I got from a man who does Conversions on 1/2 ton pickups, and uses 4 cyl. engines. "Many industrial machines already have the engines and bellhousings and they can be bought very reasonable.
Toro and Jacobsen reel cutters have a 4-236 Perkins engine with a Chevrolet bellhousing and clutch assembly. Ingersold Rand air compressors have John Deere or Perkins engines and Ford bellhousing and cluthch assemblies (ready for a Ford overdrive) or you can by new bellhousing assemblies from Stein Manufacturing in Hastings, Nebraska, 402-463-8453." Send me a PM if you want his Details.

Last edited:

Feed Bunk

Cow hand
Reaction score
Someone was telling me about a 404 swap a while back. They saw it in a farm show magazine. I was contemplating putting a 404 or cat engine in a pickup, but they dont spin enough rpms to work in my pickup.

RustyBolts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone was telling me about a 404 swap a while back. They saw it in a farm show magazine. I was contemplating putting a 404 or cat engine in a pickup, but they dont spin enough rpms to work in my pickup.

Yeah probably not. I figured it up, and with 235/85R16's (Dually) 4.10's and the ZF's OD, 55 MPH would put the engine at 1850. PTO RPM on these engines is 1900, So that would put in right in the power band. 70 MPH would put it at 2350. Rated RPM was 2200, and Transport RPM was 2500, so that's kinda pushing it. I think 3.73's Might be a better choice. That would put 55 MPH at 1675 RPM, and 70 MPH at 2150 RPM. Still well in the power band.

Could you maybe try to get some more info on the swap done in the farm show magazine, please?

Last edited:

RustyBolts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no more bub just making sure you got those points man just double checkin thanks for the info

Thanks for the concern. I've been researching this pretty in-depth. That's why i asked if anyone else had heard of it being done. You're welcome for the info.

Captain Morgan

Pipeline Mechanic
Reaction score
FWIW, I HAVE a 6-354 Perkins from an "automotive" style install, clutch and SAE#3 clutch housing is still on it, if anyone is interested....... I swapped it out for a 4-71 Detroit in one of my boring machines.

I have toyed with the JD 4cyl in a pickup just to say I have done it and to see what kinda fuel mileage it would get, just haven't run across the donor engine, yet.

I am more familiar with industrial Deere than AG, so what is the size weight difference compared to a Cummins 5.9L in the engine of your choice? I dont see cooling even being an issue, since you will flow WAY more air to it than it is accustomed to being as it will be traveling faster than 25mph. Mounting and weight would be my first concern.

Since I do odd ball repowers at least once a year, I can tell you you need a GOOD machine shop. Look at his neat pic, you see that shiny ring in the clutch housing?
That is an SAE#2 to SAE#3 Clutch housing adapter with a 1/8" setback. In other words
I bolted a smaller transmission to a bigger engine and only set the transmission back 1/8".
That cost me a cool grand, to have custom built. There is one place in the country that makes them, but they were 3 months out on a production run and I needed it then.

You must be registered for see images attach

Good Luck.

pennsylvaniabo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there was a guy in fram show that used to live in my area that put a deere motor in a mid 80's chevy, using manual trans. doesnt seem to hard other than bellhousing