Ford TTB

GunnerJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everyone hates on the TTB in 80-97 f250s, but are they really that bad? Sure they sag a bit and suck to align, but I have never seen one fail and they do ride a bit better IMO. So really, I'd say they are alright, not bad, not great either. But they do get the job done

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
You put this in the medium duty section.
Now what's the question? Lol
We actually do have a few rare birds that like the ttb.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

GunnerJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did I? Crap. Tapatalk sucks sometimes.
But the question is whether the TTB really is as Bad as most people would have you believe

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Just the turning radius mainly.
And most of the time you can swap in a d60 for the price of rebuilding the ttb.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

GunnerJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The turning radius is worse? No wonder that's the one the I hate about my truck![emoji34]

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a TTB in my'93 F-350 and I did not find that it rode any better. I put in two separate lift kits in it and killed the first one. I had no problems with alignment specs at all. Toe-in and camber did not cause me any undue problems, just time. I am VERY GLAD Ford dropped the TTB axles.

Dave

GunnerJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A TTB in a 350? I didn't know they ever had one

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yep some of the early F350's came with the TTB

if youre going to leave your truck stock height, dont plan on doing anything gnarly with it, its a good diff,
anything other than that, its a straight axle for me.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its a fine diff within its limits...

I was looking at 4x4 ambulances the other day...omg....waaaay to pricy...but one was an early 7.3 stroke engine E450 alledgedly...8 bolt wheels with coil sprung D50 TTB conversion..***...I asked the fella what it was caus F250 front diff...nope 450 shows me...yup 450...***???

SOMEONES PLAYING WITH #'s

I suppose for limited use of even an ambulance its fine but for 14K nope...all the others where 20K

Mikey89014

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I was looking at 4x4 ambulances the other day...omg....waaaay to pricy...but one was an early 7.3 stroke engine E450 alledgedly...8 bolt wheels with coil sprung D50 TTB conversion..***...I asked the fella what it was caus F250 front diff...nope 450 shows me...yup 450...***???

I suppose for limited use of even an ambulance its fine but for 14K nope...all the others where 20K

E450 vans do not have the f450 drivetrains. I dont know why , but vans have a lighter duty drivetrain compared to trucks with the same designation.

hce

So can i....
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Would have been nice if all the ttb were coil springs. The leafs just do not contort in the needed manner as the coilsprings, which are cheaper and easier to replace then leaves.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, the TTB is more complicated than an axle needs to be, BUT it is better than the wimpy IFS used on some on other trucks. And thank goodness the TTB doesn't have vacuum hubs or a vacuum axle disconnect!

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
well, the TTB is more complicated than an axle needs to be, BUT it is better than the wimpy IFS used on some on other trucks. And thank goodness the TTB doesn't have vacuum hubs or a vacuum axle disconnect!

This is a great point. While the TTB is much less desirable than a solid axle for many, at least its really strong.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
I used to break D44 ttb shafts regularly. Never broke a D50 ttb even with 38" tires, but I'be worn them out quick. There are worse IFS, but it still sucks in general or compared to a real axle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online