Ford premium audio package

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know about this?? My truck has AV plugs for the radio speakers where it hooks to the radio. I do not get any sound unless I put 12V to a wire behind the radio. I have an aftermarket CD player, but I'm having some electric issues and everthing on the radio end checks out. I'm wondering if theres some kind of factory amplifer under the dash I dont know about.:dunno

sootman73

Reaction score
you shouldn't have any kind of amp under the dash. i have the best interior package in my truck and also have replaced the speakers and radio. there are(i think) three wires that supply 12v power. there is an accessory source that supplies power when the key is turned on. the other is a constant hot. keeps the presets and clock in memory.the third is for the dash lights with a stock radio i believe. the older trucks have it to as my friends '87 has it. threw me the first time too. you can combine the dash and acc wires together. (with this setup you should be able to turn on your radio by turning on the headlights with it dimmed all the way up and the key out of the ignition) then you should have two wires that are for turning on an amplifier. known as amp remote. can just be capped and left alone if you dont have an amp. then you have a ground of course. next you have the wires to each speaker. two per speaker. the AV are to supply your amp and you dont use them unless you have an amp.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
I dont know about 3 power wires but my moms 94 psd had a factory equalizer right above the gas pedal. one way to tell maybe is all radio wires I have seen where probably about 18 or 20 gauge. The wires that came from that equalizer were rediculously small, like 28 gauge. good luck man if all else fails check fuses and stuff. that psd had a fusebox under the hood and in the cab, both with fuses that controled the radio. If you have to rewire the whole radio it really isn't all that bad just get rid of all the excess wires in the off chance that they burn up eventually or something.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll check in that area, The speaker wires are very smal coax type with AV plugs. P/O put adapters on it to tie into the regular speaker wire on the CD player. I thought there has to be some type of amp/EQ down there but dont have a clue where.