Ford Diesel Fuel Level Sendin Units

Knight_3000

Reaction score
I need front and rear sending Units(with tubes and Pickup filters) for a 1988 F250 4x4 Diesel, Anybody know where I can get them??? Ford no longer supplies them, Rock auto does not carry them, and None of the local Autoparts stores INCLUDING Napa seem to have any Idea what I am talking about

My fuel gauge stays full on both tanks till I hit a good contact on the floats, and the rubber pickups on the bottom of the tubes are rotted away and no longer in the tank(I took em out long time ago because they Plugged up my fuel lines) I have the steel tanks too.

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the pickup and sender units are still available. Have you checked JC Whitney? The last time I fooled with them (couple years ago), I replaced the floats with new plug-in ones from the auto parts store. From your symptoms, it doesn't sound like gas in your floats is a problem for you, though.

12clip

Reaction score
I bought a new rear one from Ford a couple months ago form my '93 and I would think an '88 would be the same thing.
The sending unit they sell you is for a '96 and uses a different wiring connector that is similar to an O2 sensor connector.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am assuming you do have the old sending-unit assemblies.

The sixteen-dollar J.C.Whitney universal fit-all gauge sending-units that I retrofitted onto my factory assemblies are far superior in every way to the junk that Ford put in there.

If the steel tubes are intact, you can clamp rubber fuel-line onto the draw-straw, split the end in a swallowtail, and weight it to remain on the bottom; this is also a better fix than Ford's design that failed on most of these trucks within the first few months.

The return-line can get along just fine minus that silly little rubber whistle-looking thingie. ;Sweet

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gasser sending units are the same as the diesel ones - I pulled an entire pickup assembly from a '92-up Bronco and measured the resistance of its sending unit and it was exactly the same as the one in my '90 F-series. Seems to me like all you need are the sending units, then you can swap your floats and arms over to them, and for the puckup tubes you do like Midnight Rider said with the rubber hose.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Gasser sending units are the same as the diesel ones - I pulled an entire pickup assembly from a '92-up Bronco and measured the resistance of its sending unit and it was exactly the same as the one in my '90 F-series. Seems to me like all you need are the sending units, then you can swap your floats and arms over to them, and for the puckup tubes you do like Midnight Rider said with the rubber hose.

How do you bypass the intank pumps? I don't suppose you've done a write-up on this?

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What in-tank pumps, those on the Bronco? I left that at the junkyard, all I took from that truck was the sending unit with the float - I installed those on my own pickup assembly after reshaping its tubes a bit and then extending the large one so it reaches the bottom of the deeper Bronco tank. No write-up on this mod, not from me at least, I usually work on my own truck between jobs so I try to get it done as quick as possible - which in this particular case bit me in the posterior as I ended up tilting the tank backward some, and it needs to be tilted forward cause the Bronco pickup is in the front of the tank. I'll take some pics of the pickup-assembly I conjured when I drop the tank to reposition it properly, but right now there are like 10 gallons of fuel still in there, so I gotta idle those away first before I can drop the tank.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Won't be too soon tho, not in the next week at least - I got quite a lot of work waiting on me right now, I wish I had the time to work on my truck but making money takes priority over everything else :D

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled the intank pump (my truck only had the one pump) (some early Bricknose's had a frame mount pre pump) as well., and then made a draw straw if you will to by pass where it sat on the sending unit assy.

tell you what, when I went to fire this pig, and nothing happened, I was seating nails I effed up.

Turned out my lift pump was junk. AutoZone sold me a diesel specific electric for $50

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score

I just did that on my dually 2 weeks ago. Using the guts from a known good senfing unit and swapping it over splicing the replacement sender onto the current pickup assembly worked great. ;Sweet

Now my fuel gauge doesn't waive at me anymore.:D

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LMC truck lists them for $150. They list a 87-89 and then two different styles of 90-96 units. Those later units are $240-$250.

pennsylvaniabo

Full Access Member
Reaction score

my sending unit and gauge read out is great but my tubes outside the tank rusted thru....can i use a gasser unit form a bronco or pickup or even a psd unit from 94+??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online