Ford 7.3 IDI problem

greasytom

Reaction score
I have a 1993 F250, 7.3, automatic E4OD, that wouldn't start this morning. It has good glowplugs, 2 brand new batteries and is cranking fast. I determined that no fuel is coming from the high pressure side of the IP.
I next checked the wire on top of the IP that seems to allow fuel to flow to the IP. "Flashing" it on the terminal with the key in "run" position resulted in a small spark but no "click" from the solenoid.
I removed the cover on top of the IP and found the solenoid to be sticky. I worked it in and out until it moved freely and responded normally to a 12 volt jumper.
I carefully re-installed the lid on top of the IP, cranked it for a few seconds and it roared to life, but at about 2500 RPM. After shutting it down, I removed the cover again to check but saw nothing stuck or broken: otherwise I don't have a clue what all the moving parts in there do.
Backing off the idle screw got me down to 2000 RPM but still can't drive it. I have a delivery route to maintain but without this otherwise great running truck, I'm dead in the water.
Does anyone have any advice that would help get this thing to idle down?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
your pump cover is not installed properly.
i put mime on slightly off center towards the front of the motor and slide it back. that way I know the solenoid is pushing the right direction.
if I have a chance to, I'll tear the top off a junk pump and take some pics.
do yourself a favor and take a wander through the tech articles section here.
you might find your answer there.

greasytom

Reaction score
I attached a picture of what I'm working on:
I did try installing the cover as you said but the engine still races. I can raise the RPM with the throttle pedal but it still "idles" at 2000 RPM.
I'll check the tech articles.....Thanks for the advice.

Attachments

• Ford Governor.jpg
    Ford Governor.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 39
Last edited: