flow scan for IDI?

cowboytueller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys got an idea. Has anyone installed a flow scan or thought about it for our engines? (A flow scan is the mpg tool like on the newer trucks. Tells you what your mpg is on the fly.)

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It couldn't work anyway due to the amount of the variable return to the tank. You would have to have two, one into IP and one on return line and then some form of computer to calculate the difference and compute that into actual used fuel and then process that into MPG based on distance etc.

Ya...not likely going to work to well IMHO

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Nope.. Never thought how that would give us much information on mpg but its a nice topic. Something I will be watching for other answers. I wonder if we could modify one from a ford and make it work on our trucks..

cowboytueller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All good points but it sounds like no one has looked back to the ones that were used on diesels back in the 80s that did not require a computer. They needed a 12 volt source then were used before the IP. No computer was needed.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My flow scan operates every 500 miles, mostly at Flying J or Pilot, never Love if I can help it. Got one on my PSD, but I think it lies to me.