Flexplate interchangeability

Beerthirty

Reaction score
I'm building a 1988 7.3 NA idi bottom end and putting it in a mid '93 truck that has a 7.3 idit e4od combo.
question...I need a flexplate to send off with the rotating assembly for balancing.
atp z344 work?

I have not removed the 7.3 idit yet to see which style flex/fly it uses and i do not have the plate from the '88.

I hear 1 pc. and 2.pc. and that late versions use a spacer when the flywheel became thinner design.. ?.

i was looking at the pioneer FRA490, 420 and then the atp 342,344 .

Good advice needed, what 7.3 NA flex plate will work with a 93-94 e4od?

Last edited:

nj_m715

government's finest
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had the 2 piece in my 89. it cracked 5 yrs ago. new ones were impossible to find, good used replacements were hard to find and expensive. someone here sold me a spacer and I got a new flexplate form the dealer.

Eli

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One that came with an E4OD transmission.

I believe the IDIT has different balancing, and this would create a severe imbalance issue - but I may be wrong. You need a standard IDI flexplate for an E4OD.

Eli

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
I did essentially the same thing for a friend a few years ago. Put an 85 6.9 in a 94 IDIT truck with E4OD. After much careful depth checking etc we ended up using the 6.9 / C6 set up that was on the engine. It fit up perfectly, just needed 1 flat washer on rack torque converter stud to restore the torque converter depth to original. Ran great no issues or vibrations. And I got a core turbo long block and an 85 F250 less the engine plus helped a friend in need..

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I believe the IDIT has different balancing, and this would create a severe imbalance issue - but I may be wrong. You need a standard IDI flexplate for an E4OD.

Eli
Either flexplate will work for a E4OD. It doesn't care whether on not the flexplate is for a N/A. It's the engine that cares. Also, he's getting everything balanced so it still wouldn't matter. The Turbo flex plate is in the truck now and he's wanting one to take to the machine shop right now, before the Factory Turbo engine comes out of the truck.