Fixed headlight knob

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
Hey all. Every OBS I have ever owned has had the headlight knob broken off, my new super duty is no exception so I am making a permanent replacement.

Knob is 303SS. Drilled and threaded for 3 serrated 8-32 steel set screws. Going to drill and thread it today after work with a spin indexer.

Knob cost 7$, screws are .15$ ea. Should be able to do it in 30 mins or less.

You must be registered for see images attach

kbenz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all. Every OBS I have ever owned has had the headlight knob broken off, my new super duty is no exception so I am making a permanent replacement.

Knob is 303SS. Drilled and threaded for 3 serrated 8-32 steel set screws. Going to drill and thread it today after work with a spin indexer.

Knob cost 7$, screws are .15$ ea. Should be able to do it in 30 mins or less.

I'll take one :)

Fixnstuff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where did you buy the knob (and part number) or just post a link. 303SS only means that it is 303 stainless steel.
AND LET US KNOW IF THE KNOB FITS PROPERLY after you get it.

ISPKI

Reaction score
The knob happens to be an off the shelf item from McMaster Carr. Part# 60205K51.

Works great for the process because it is highly corrosion resistance, strong enough for a knob and is "free machining". It contains small amounts of phosphorous and sulfur which reduce the "gummy" characteristic that alot of austinitic stainless steels tend to have when machining, although makes it poor for welding.

I am waiting for the knurled set screws to come in since someone used up the last of our stock and failed to put in a restock order -cuss:frustrate;Pissed

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So are you putting the set screws in a straight line or spaced evenly around the diameter?

Isn't there a flat spot on the shaft?

ISPKI

Reaction score
Finished it, found a box of cup point set screws that should hold well. They are 1/32" shorter than can fit but they will hold for now until the slightly longer screws come in. There are 3 set screws total spaced equidistant (120 degrees) around the diameter. There is a little trial and error to get it set on the shaft at the depth you want. I preferred mine close to flush against the dash but there is plenty of depth to the hole in the knob where you could set it further away if you wanted. Just have to be careful not to set it too deep so that the lights cant be turned off.

The shaft is actually a triangle shape, hence the three set screws. Each one locks onto a flat which should give it a rock solid hold.

ISPKI

Reaction score
So are you putting the set screws in a straight line or spaced evenly around the diameter?

Isn't there a flat spot on the shaft?

Hey, while im thinking about it, could you send me some shots of your work rig? Specifically the cowl induction hood and intake and what not? Ive been thinking about alot of those similar mods that your truck has.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, while im thinking about it, could you send me some shots of your work rig? Specifically the cowl induction hood and intake and what not? Ive been thinking about alot of those similar mods that your truck has.
Sorry, but there isn't much to see. The cowl induction was something I bought from hypermax way back in the day, but it's not on the truck anymore. Stock Ford hood. The hypermax piece was a plastic doohickey that screwed to the cowl after you'd cut a hole in it, kinda above the brake booster.

My current intake is kind of a mess, lol. I don't think it should be used as a role model. I'd really like an intake setup from Classic Diesel Designs.

ISPKI

Reaction score
Haha, aight, fair enough. Guess i'll have to look elsewhere for inspiration.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
How about this one? I have to admit that this really made me feel like drinking a 6 pack of beer, climbing up on a step stool, and waiting.:sly

Attachments

• 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    170.4 KB · Views: 15

ISPKI

Reaction score
Ya know I once thought about doing a massive mechanical dump valve thru routed thru a hood stack on my F250. I have since come to my senses and realized how bad of an idea that could be. My truck is loud and obnoxious enough without blowing my exhaust at my face the whole time.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
As far as I know, that is technically illegal in Kansas anyway. From what I remember, the exhaust is supposed to exit behind the driver and a hood stack certainly doesn't do that. That's not saying that I haven't run exhaust that didn't exit behind me. I did for several years and got away with it just fine. I knew that it was illegal and did it anyway. I never could have done that if we had vehicle inspections here, but we don't, surprisingly. I've been expecting it for 20 years or so and it hasn't happened yet.

ISPKI

Reaction score
As far as I know, that is technically illegal in Kansas anyway. From what I remember, the exhaust is supposed to exit behind the driver and a hood stack certainly doesn't do that. That's not saying that I haven't run exhaust that didn't exit behind me. I did for several years and got away with it just fine. I knew that it was illegal and did it anyway. I never could have done that if we had vehicle inspections here, but we don't, surprisingly. I've been expecting it for 20 years or so and it hasn't happened yet.
Yeah we dont have inspection in CT either and have a similar law in place, Exhaust must exit behind the cabin of the vehicle. I usually have my exhaust exit mid way down the truck to avoid having to run it over the rear axle. I have a friend who was pulled over because his exhaust ended a few feet after the headers and they dinged him based on that regulation, although he was pulled over for noise complaint.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Mine was with the 1978 F100 that I had for a while. Ford use to put something right off of the exhaust manifolds (with gas engines). They weren't cats because there was still one of those farther back in the exhaust. We called them resonators for lack of a better term. I ran that truck with just one of those hanging off of each manifold for as long as I drove that truck. Each exhaust pipe was 12"-15" past the end of the manifold. I could have been nailed for that, but they were fairly quiet, even in the cab. I've never did get pulled over for loud exhaust although my first 79 F150 should have been. It was pretty loud. The guy I bought it from had a pair of blown out glass packs on there. He had a cop mention his loud exhaust onetime. He told him that it had mufflers. The cop looked underneath the truck, saw the mufflers, and let him go. Those pipes exited right in front of each rear tire. It looked legal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online