9th Gen F-Series Dash Repair

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
pics w/basic instructions.
skill level on a 1-10 scale: .5 (1/2) yes that's right,not even a 1. (10 being the hardest.example; replacing ball joints in a 4wd truck.)
time required; 15-30 minutes.
price to repair; most likely free.you'll no doubt find a bracket and a couple screws to rob from something,rather than making a special trip to the hardware for this one.
1.the problem.a broken plastic dash mount.
remove the pass side kick panel to gain access to your work area.
2.the problem.broken plastic in your way to repair.
remove the bolt using a ratchet with an extension and 5/16 socket on the right and discard the broken plastic section.
use just the hacksaw blade in your hand to cut off the broken plastic on the dash side.
3.the problem.now you need a new mount.
find yourself an L-bracket or make one.i made one using what i quickly found on hand.the flat bar section of a U-bolt found at any hardware store.
put it in a vise and bend to fit using the existing hole for the bolt on the door jam side.
4.the problem.too long.no holes.
cut to fit.mark and drill two holes in your bracket.the screws will make their own in the plastic.
5.the problem.dash hanging down slightly.
lift the dash upward as you screw the two screws in,and tighten the door jam side bolt.put the kick panel back on.
6.important final step.the problem.loosened upper dash bolts from excessive dash vibration.
now look up by the windshield,you'll see 4 upper dash bolts in plain view,from drivers side to passenger side.grab a long extension and 9/32 socket for your 1/4 drive ratchet and make sure all 4 of these are snug.carefully not over tightening them.these likely have gotten loosened over time due to the vibration from the broken mount you just repaired.if these are still loose,your dash with still squeak.you may be tempted to get in a hurry and just check the one or maybe two over on the pass side.don't do that.strangely enough my loosest bolt was all the way over by the drivers side,with all of them clearly loose causing rubbing plastic squeak noises.
since you have the 9/32 ratchet setup and handy,check out the 4 lower dash bolts too.starting below the power point,under the ash tray and over by your mount repair.you can't miss 'em.in fact you can see one of them in pic 1 below.just make sure they're all snug.
job complete.no more shaking dash or squeaks!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    450.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    440.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    373 KB · Views: 24
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    345 KB · Views: 28
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    384.2 KB · Views: 26

gandalf

Reaction score
Dash repair... I think I used some metal plumbers tape to fix mine. Plumbers tape, anout 3/4 inchwide with holes frequently along it, cut to length. Haven't had a problem with it since. That was on the '92.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have always wondered if this "engineering problem" plagued all the OBS trucks throughout all years of the production run, or if Ford finally fixed the problem in the later OBS trucks. I have owned 2 1994 OBS trucks and have had to make this repair on both. Ford designed a repair bracket with 5 pages of instructions to go with it. Your repair is much simpler. For those interested, I have attached the instructions. The part number for the repair bracket is F4TZ-1504366-A and had a list price of $30.08 in 2010. No idea if this part is still available or not. There should have been a recall on this design flaw and Ford should have repaired every OBS dash on their dime.
You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance