Fixed fan conversion for IDI

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Isn't someone here running the horton?
He had to make a adapter.

Yeah Jauhln (sure I messed up his handle) has a horton. I think he got a hold of a powerstroke one though and had to specially machine the nut to get it on our waterpump. There is a thread on here with part numbers and stuff.

MTKirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MTKirk,
don't mean to change the subject but what part # Airtex pump are you using for WVO? I've found a bunch of conflicting part #'s and I want a low pressure pump (less than 10psi) that'd be safe for our lift pump's and will last for a while.

TIA

EDIT: found a thread where the Airtex E8153 was being praised

Yep, I'm running the Airtex E8153. I have a pre filter (50? micron) and the pump never sees veg oil under 100 degrees F (or over 150F). 15,000 trouble free miles so far.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
OK, spill the beans. Which one are you using, and how did you mount it?

I'm using the one on my truck (which is a one piece nylon fan), and I made an adapter, not going to tell how yet, but although I turned the first one on a lathe, I made a second one in a way at least 2/3 of the members on here will be able to accomplish fairly easily ;Sweet

MTKirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm using the one on my truck (which is a one piece nylon fan), and I made an adapter, not going to tell how yet, but although I turned the first one on a lathe, I made a second one in a way at least 2/3 of the members on here will be able to accomplish fairly easily ;Sweet

Unless there are pictures and detailed explanations posted on the internet (with part numbers and recommended suppliers), it NEVER HAPPENED!!

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
Unless there are pictures and detailed explanations posted on the internet (with part numbers and recommended suppliers), it NEVER HAPPENED!!

There are lots of things that many people know to be truth which are not readily available on the web. ;Sweet
I'm taking the risk on my truck of something put together with redneck engineering, I'm prepared to replace the entire cooling system and possibly the engine on my truck if my testing fails, are you prepared to do the same?
Trying to "call me out" on this, thinking you can berate me into sharing information when I've already stated I'm not ready, is pretty stupid and childish. The SMART way if you're that interested, would be to send a pm, but I'd tell you the same thing there, just with a little more detail.
There are a select number of people on here who I would be more than willing to share the information with at this point, they are also people who have been around long enough I know they wouldn't go off half cocked and probably wouldn't try it on their own, I don't know if what I'm doing is going to last longer than a few months.
The first one I tried came apart within a week and luckily only destroyed my shroud, wiring to some fog lights, and fan belts.
Want me to tell you how to set up that one? :backoff

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
I think that was meant as a joke, probably with a little envy thrown in. You obviously have an audience, some more patient than others.

Attachments

• 12106952_10206757804676746_8104997602015741869_n.jpg
    12106952_10206757804676746_8104997602015741869_n.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 74

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The IH water pump and pulley arrangement would make an aftermarket fan setup easier. It has a flange mount fan like "normal" vehicles.
Something I have considered as these things will not stay cool when making power and working them..

MTKirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The IH water pump and pulley arrangement would make an aftermarket fan setup easier. It has a flange mount fan like "normal" vehicles.
Something I have considered as these things will not stay cool when making power and working them..

I think something like this would be the ticket, it screws on in place of the clutch nut.

You must be registered for see images attach

You would then be able to add the Flex-a-lite fan and spacers of your choosing. The website lists the threads as 30 X 1.5mm left hand, shows it fits other Fords but does not list our trucks... could it fit? https://www.flex-a-lite.com/accesso...spacers/thread-on-fan-spacer-and-adapter.html

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That (or something similar) could open up a lot of possibilities.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So stupid question.... couldn't you just machine and adapter that mounts and pilots over the bigger part of the water pump like the water pump pulley does? It all turns together. Just need longer bolts through the pulley. You could do about what ever you wanted to if you trimmed off the snout. But a straight mechanical fan would be easy to do provided you could get the right spacing. Might even be able to adapt to something pretty large in the fan clutch department. :dunno

It's that ******* left handed thread that's the problem.

MTKirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So stupid question.... couldn't you just machine and adapter that mounts and pilots over the bigger part of the water pump like the water pump pulley does? It all turns together. Just need longer bolts through the pulley. You could do about what ever you wanted to if you trimmed off the snout. But a straight mechanical fan would be easy to do provided you could get the right spacing. Might even be able to adapt to something pretty large in the fan clutch department. :dunno

It's that ******* left handed thread that's the problem.

I've had bad luck with fan spacers using long bolts to the water pump flange, they just kept working loose. That was on a gasser turning 8,000 rpm, but I still don't like the idea of it.

I was thinking of fabricating something like this
if I can find a piece of 2 5/8" ID pipe with an OD of 2 7/8". The flange to the water pump could be 1/8", while the fan surface should be around 3/8" to allow for more threads. I suppose it could be turned and milled from a piece of aluminum, but there would then be issues with threads for the fan bolts, and the spacer tube itself would be fairly thin for aluminum.

I do like this idea better than using the "big nut" adapter, as you alleviate the threat of your fan spinning off at shut down.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
@jwalterus Do tell us the blow me up version of how to add a fan so we know what road NOT to go down;Sweet :rotflmao

Ok: Don't take a fan clutch from a junkyard engine, cut off the nut, weld it to a 1" steel pipe shaft, weld on a 1/4" plate, drill and tap holes for fan to bolt to, and bolt it onto your truck.
1/4" IS NOT enough to bolt through and expect it to hold. ;Sweet

I have since come up with a much better solution

I've had bad luck with fan spacers using long bolts to the water pump flange, they just kept working loose. That was on a gasser turning 8,000 rpm, but I still don't like the idea of it.

I was thinking of fabricating something like this
if I can find a piece of 2 5/8" ID pipe with an OD of 2 7/8". The flange to the water pump could be 1/8", while the fan surface should be around 3/8" to allow for more threads. I suppose it could be turned and milled from a piece of aluminum, but there would then be issues with threads for the fan bolts, and the spacer tube itself would be fairly thin for aluminum.

I do like this idea better than using the "big nut" adapter, as you alleviate the threat of your fan spinning off at shut down.

11GA 2 7/8" DOM tubing

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. It's a *******. You can find that tap in right hand thread but my casual browsing has yet to turn one up in left hand thread. I'm not personally enough of a machinist to turn my own threads.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7