Fixed fan conversion for IDI

MTKirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone has successfully mounted a fixed aftermarket fan to their IDI. I've seen a couple of likely candidates on the Summit racing catalog, thought I'd see if someone has figured this out.

I have e-fans that are great 95% of the time, but would like to have a locked mechanical fan for those really hot days towing my camper up mountains. Sure I could fix my stock clutch, but there has to be a fan that weighs much less and puts out more air with less HP drain. Something that would bolt to the 4 bolts of the pulley, avoiding the huge single nut, would be ideal.

Thanks for looking,

Kirk

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
One of the old fiberglass fans might be what you want, but I doubt they made one as big (diameter, number of blades) as our stock fans. They moved a lot of air at low speeds and flexed flat at high RPM.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last time I looked, the largest flex fan I could find was 19 inches. I seem to remember our fan is 23 inches in diameter. That's not going to be close enough to the fan shroud to work properly. Anyway, if you want the max amount of air and cooling for towing, you are going to want to keep the factory monster.

What type of fan(s) do the later powerstrokes use? I use a 08 or 09 f350 on the job and it requires pulling some steep mountain grades with it loaded. On these hot days something kicks in under the hood and you have never heard such a rackett in all your life. I experimented with the throttle and it seems to change with it, so I am guessing it must be some sort of mechanical fan under there. When you lift the hood to look you can't see much, it's pretty crowded under there.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sadly you wont find what you want but please do post up what is found. Not everyone has the ability to find what may work. I do know most if not all power stroke fans turn the wrong direction for our idi engine. I tried using a early psd fan by flipping it over.. Nope.. No worky. Our fan clutch spring can be modified by removing it and re bending the tab. then as it warms up the fan locks up at lower temps. Look at your clutch. If you see ANY dirt built up around the spring or the seal its worn out and the reason you have poor cooling. Plenty of clutch spring modification posting on this forum too.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
What type of fan(s) do the later powerstrokes use? I use a 08 or 09 f350 on the job and it requires pulling some steep mountain grades with it loaded. On these hot days something kicks in under the hood and you have never heard such a rackett in all your life. I experimented with the throttle and it seems to change with it, so I am guessing it must be some sort of mechanical fan under there. When you lift the hood to look you can't see much, it's pretty crowded under there.

It's a large multi-bladed plastic fan, with an electric clutch. The 6.0 and 6.4 I think use a similar fan, and on a 6.0 when the fan kicks in, you think it's going to suck the grill through the radiator....

You must be registered for see images attach

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
For the obs powerstroke, we can swap in the 6.0 fan blade. It's supposed to flow more air.
What's funny is the 6.0 guys swap to the 7.3 fan clutch, to get rid of the electric lockup. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

MTKirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a large multi-bladed plastic fan, with an electric clutch. The 6.0 and 6.4 I think use a similar fan, and on a 6.0 when the fan kicks in, you think it's going to suck the grill through the radiator....

Well that's pretty interesting, but; is that a counterclockwise fan?

MTKirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Interesting. I think we've been over this before where the water pumps are not compatible with the newer electric clutch. Sure gets a guy to thinking though.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
Biggest Aftermarket fans appear to be 20"

Yoda says weak your google-fu is LOL

flex-a-lite FLX4616 is a 21", FLX4626 is a 22", FLX4636 is a 23", FLX4646 is a 24"

I bought all 4 from summit, I don't do updates on things like this until I feel I'd be comfortable telling someone else to do it either way, but these aren't the only ones I've been testing

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?77154-rad-fan

I'll give you a hint, it was 99* today, towing just over 6k at 70mph, with a big push pad on the front of my truck, and I was at 190* ;Sweet

MTKirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yoda says weak your google-fu is LOL

flex-a-lite FLX4616 is a 21", FLX4626 is a 22", FLX4636 is a 23", FLX4646 is a 24"

I bought all 4 from summit, I don't do updates on things like this until I feel I'd be comfortable telling someone else to do it either way, but these aren't the only ones I've been testing

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?77154-rad-fan

I'll give you a hint, it was 99* today, towing just over 6k at 70mph, with a big push pad on the front of my truck, and I was at 190* ;Sweet

OK, spill the beans. Which one are you using, and how did you mount it?

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Newer stokes are counterclockwise fans and waterpumps. IDI's are clockwise fans. From the looking I've done International 466 engine water pump come with a water pump thread and rotation that matches our engines. So a 466 might be a place to look for different fans or clutches. I've been drooling over the Horton electric clutched fans, but don't have heating issues. So It hasn't been worth the money to buy a 300-500 clutch yet.

Interested to see how Jwalterus's testing goes.

mbolton1990

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MTKirk,
don't mean to change the subject but what part # Airtex pump are you using for WVO? I've found a bunch of conflicting part #'s and I want a low pressure pump (less than 10psi) that'd be safe for our lift pump's and will last for a while.

TIA

EDIT: found a thread where the Airtex E8153 was being praised

Last edited:

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Newer stokes are counterclockwise fans and waterpumps. IDI's are clockwise fans. From the looking I've done International 466 engine water pump come with a water pump thread and rotation that matches our engines. So a 466 might be a place to look for different fans or clutches. I've been drooling over the Horton electric clutched fans, but don't have heating issues. So It hasn't been worth the money to buy a 300-500 clutch yet.

Interested to see how Jwalterus's testing goes.
Isn't someone here running the horton?
He had to make a adapter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bsthomas21

Members online