First tow, and she ran hot - who has improved cooling system?

dsblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put my sender in the rear of the head on the drivers side. Seems to run a little higher there, thinking about moving it closer to the OEM positions.

Jim73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the sender info, dsblack!

And a REALLY big thank you to icanfixall, who not only offered his fan clutch tools, but his time. He and I spent basically all day today replacing the water pump, thermostat, thermostat housing, fan clutch, and radiator in 100 degree heat. Did all new belts and hoses as well, pressure tested the system, and ALMOST got her all filled with distilled water/coolant at slightly under a 60/40 mix - had to leave some room for the DCA-4 which I'm supposed to get off the UPS truck tomorrow...

Will be busy early in the week, but hope to hitch up and yank the trailer up a nearby grade before Friday. I wound up with a 4-row radiator with 18 fins per inch (vs about 12 on the stocker) and half again as many vertical rows of tubes (I think we counted 76 vs 53). Will give a full report on that test before splitting for Oregon and Washington this Friday.

I have a hard time finding words to express my appreciation of icanfixall for his generosity and help. There's no way I'd have gotten this stuff done today since I'm pretty green when it comes to diesels and I know it. That makes me very methodical and slow.

He's a fine gentleman and a true brother!

Jim

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Jim... Thank you for allowing me to help you with this. Now you can pass something along too. I really think your only concern now will be the gage reading seeming too cool. Going from the stock radiator with 53 rows vertical rows and a fin count of 12 up to a radiator with 76 vertical rows and a fin count of 18 will keep things cool. ;Sweet ... P.S... Remember to retrieve that 5/16 socket from the full bucket of coolant..... :D

Jim73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will do, buddy!

BTW, I've got a couple of other tools of yours - will call you so I can arrange to get them back to you.

Just itching to get the UPS shipment so I can finish fill and do a regualr test drive and get the air purged!

Again, thanks to everyone on this board for their incredible support - makes it an absolute pleasure to explore the old IDI when so much assistance is available.

Jim

dsblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
where did you get the radiator? how much $$? Looked at a aluminum one for $1000.00 Got to be cheaper options out there. Headed to the 110+ heat of Southern Utah, and Northern Arizona next year.

And how did the new stuff work?

Jim73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First tow report...

Writing from a friend's home on Whidbey Island up north of Seattle...

The GOOD news: We made it here pulling the trailer! (Not a really big one, though - 5700 lbs).

The So-So news: Did need to shut off the A/C on a couple of big grades on hot days, so the cooling system is hugely improved but not yet as robust as I'd like.

The bad news - Now that the gross overheating is licked, I'm a little let down with the so-so power. I thought she'd yank the trailer pretty effortlessly, but she's working fairly hard.

More when I get back home Sunday night!

Jim

patternman

Reaction score
Jim73 said:
Priced a Motorcraft clutch at a bit over $175.00 online tonight.

Where online did you find this price?
Stealership quoted me $350
Carquest quoted me $276

Jim73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, been occupied with various getting back home activities...

I've heard from multiple sources that I have great respect for - here, other boards, and some parts guys and service people with loads of experience - that you REALLY don't want to go aftermarket stock replacement on the fan clutch. These folks have all emphatically said "Get the Motorcraft clutch". Members here have had good things to say about the MS Tech clutch, though - it is apparently set up similar to what Hayden talks about on their super clutches - lower temp of engagement and so forth. I was in a time bind and went for the Motorcraft, and it worked well on this trip, a fairly demanding pull out of the central valley of California and up into Oregon over lots of those Siskiyou grades. Temperatures were in the nineties to the low 100s, so not quite as severe a test as that Baker grade I overheated on between SoCal and Vegas in June.

I'm going to have to go back and look for the place I got that number on the Motorcraft clutch. I think I just googled something like "Discount Motorcraft parts" My local parts house is a good, old-fashioned place and they established an account for me that treats me like a shop, so I get a little break. They were close enough to the online price that loyalty had me buy it from them. I want them there next year!

Here's a place I just found via Google - quick example :

http://www.oehq.com/index2.cfm?showpage=utility/partsearch2.cfm&CFID=1756300&CFTOKEN=38623127

Shoot! Just tried out the link and it defaults to a GM number of some sort - just search for Motorcraft YB-467...

Jim

Last edited:

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might try Fordparts.com.... you need to be sure its the absolute right one by calling them and checking them against a known Ford Part #.
Jim...about the power... what kind of boost #s and EGTs are you seeing on your setup? Good luck,
J.D.

Jim73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
J.D.,

Don't know the boost numbers yet - when I had the overheating on the first trip, I ditched the plans for the new pyro and boost gauges in the 2 gauge pod I'd bought and substituted a water temp gauge for the boost for this last trip. Had intended just pyro, boost, and trans temp before - now looks like I'll wind up with three more gauges in a dashtop pod - boost, trans temp, and oil pressure. I like to have some realtime idea of how things are working, and I hadn't realized the gauges Ford provide really don't do that. Likely will not get the other gauges for a couple of months - I don't make much money during the summer and I just used up most of my vehicle reserves fixing the cooling system.

I'm withholding judgement on the power issue until I get the boost gauge so I can make sure it's not a leak or a wastegate needing adjustment or something. EGTs on the last trip were my limiting factor on most hills - my post-turbo numbers would get to 850 on the longer grades and I'd back out a tad. Wound up pulling some hills at around 40mph in second - a splitter sure would be nice to fill in the yawning gap between 2nd and 3rd gear. My idea of changing out the gears to 3.55s is not going to fly based on this trip - she'd be a complete dog with a trailer.

The water temps were a slight concern on the long climb up the Castaic grade on I-5 just north of my home. That's a six mile climb from about 1200 to a little over 4000 feet, a pretty stiff pull on a 105 degree day, as we had. Had the A/C off and she got up to just short of 240 - was waiting for the engine light, but was able to feather out enough to cool slightly and keep it from tripping on. The small gauge reactions to small throttle changes were vital to keeping me out of a real overheat condition on this trip. The factory gauge on the big grade en route to Vegas in June did the classic idiot gauge thing - showed dead normal, not even the high side of normal - until about 15 seconds AFTER I got an engine light - then it banged over hard right - sheesh!

Will post more on the power when I've got boost numbers - at least the nearby grade is a good testing ground!

Jim

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wonder if you could get a pyro installed pre turbo...those post turbo numbers make your experiences hard to correlate with most of teh rest of these guys that are running pre turbo or N/A pyros. If you have some wiggle room, it may be that you can bump the fuel up a little bit or its also possible your fuel ssytem is not where it should be...IE too wore out. Is this the old style non gated ATS? If so, you won't get much over 8-9PSI out of it from what other guys here have said.

seanpistol

Reaction score
you live in valencia?! I LIVE IN VALENCIA!

if you're ever around the COC parking lot, the two IDIs belong to my stepbrother and myself.

we can have our own rally!

Jim73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
J.D., this is the wastegated ATS, so I had thought about the gate needing adjustment, but we'll see. Maybe I just had unreasonable expectations. I thought this thing was going to yank my 22 footer like it wasn't even there.

I would've preferred a pre-turbo thermocouple location, but in all the hassle with the cooling system and getting the interior back together, I just installed in the post-turbo bung in the Banks exhaust. Since my wife was going to drive some segments and she is VERY non-mechanical, I wound up getting one of the color-coded gauges from Isspro - it's much easier to just tell her to keep it in the green than to adhere to a number. It gives up some readability to a white-numbered gauge in some lighting conditions, but the at-a-glance aspect is nice during quick scans. On the long haul up to Puget Sound, it was nice to have a co-driver. Our last tow vehicle was a stick and while I loved it, she couldn't drive it.

Hey, Seanpistol! Small world, huh? I'll have to swing by some morning on the way to Santa Monica College and look at your trucks - I'm a planetarium lecturer there during the school year. Wish COC had a big enough astronomy program to get some work there...

Jim

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the color coded thing too, but can't you have a pre turbo thermocouple with that? I would also like to have the color coded boost gauge, I think they look cool, and probably real good if you have female drivers...haha. But my mom won't drive the truck and I'm still single so I don't have that issue yet.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin