first crank after a rebuild...

TwoTone IDI

ZF swap completed!
Reaction score
so ive got the batteries hooked up, turned the key to all positions, and didnt observe any fires.

i have the glow plugs out and have cranked, engine turns freely, especially with the glow plugs out.

about how long should i expect to crank before this new engine builds some oil pressure?

what other things should i try to look for before i put the plugs in?

after i put the plugs in, about how long does it normally take to build sufficient fuel pressure?

TwoTone IDI

ZF swap completed!
Reaction score
i remembered that i needed to change out my oil pressure switch so i did that and bam, pressure was shown. that didnt take long at all.

im also positive that i have fuel pressure, because leaks sprung up. one was easy... just a loose nut.

the OTHER is way back by what i assume is the main fuel pump. its right in front of the front fuel tank. what in the world could cause that to leak? im talking LOTS and LOTS of fuel, practically pouring out.

that part was never disconnected. is it some kind of popoff in the case of a fuel pressure overage?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
so ive got the batteries hooked up, turned the key to all positions, and didnt observe any fires.

i have the glow plugs out and have cranked, engine turns freely, especially with the glow plugs out.

about how long should i expect to crank before this new engine builds some oil pressure?

what other things should i try to look for before i put the plugs in?

after i put the plugs in, about how long does it normally take to build sufficient fuel pressure?
You won't really get much oil pressure till it fires, but it should already be circulating and if proper assembly lube was used, it really isn't an issue.

Throw in the plugs and get er ready to go. How long it takes to build fuel pressure is a crap shoot, every one is different, some engines will cough after a few cranks and some will be horribly air locked in the pump and you will fight them for a day

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
the OTHER is way back by what i assume is the main fuel pump. its right in front of the front fuel tank. what in the world could cause that to leak? im talking LOTS and LOTS of fuel, practically pouring out.

that part was never disconnected. is it some kind of popoff in the case of a fuel pressure overage?

IIRC that is the Fuel Tank Selector Valve.

To get the motor bled of air i have always pulled the GPs out and spun the motor over until I had fuel mist spraying out all 8 holes, then reinstall the GPs burn em a couple times and away you go ;Really