Firewall Stiffener?

John Haggerty

Birth Certificate
Reaction score
Brothers,

So there is a TSB out about the firewall being stiffened. Anyone got a picture or part number? I ran this post a few weeks ago and got conflicting answers, so I'm trying again. My firewall seems weak and needs stiffening. Stiffer is better :rotflmao !

Thanks,
John

CaseyJones

Reaction score
John:

I recently went through this. There are 2 different kits for firewall reinforcement depending on the extent of the cracking around the clutch master.

I didnt have much flex at all so I went and got the small kit from ford and it was < $5.00. I was dissapointed to go to install it and find that there was already one in there. Its a pretty simple peice that against the firewall inside the cab.

Ill dig up the package and post part # for the small one, I also have an extra one!

Tony

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I have the TSB if that will help. It was faxed to me so there is a little cropping on the right edge text, but nothing you can't figure out. I have it in a two part document and will/have sent it to several people. For what it is worth, the TSB says if there is any flex, you must use the large kit IIRC.

krawlr

Yup, that's me
Reaction score
Small kit:

Use reinforcement kit E8TZ-7K509-A on these trucks. The only part in this kit is the special reinforcement for these trucks. To install it, proceed as follows:

1. Remove the two clutch master cylinder attaching nuts (13 mm) from inside the truck.

2. Position the reinforcement in place over the clutch master cylinder studs.

3. Re-install the two master cylinder nuts, Figure
6. Tighten to 9.5 - 14.9 N-m.

Large kit:

Use reinforcement kit E3TZ-7K509-B on all 1983-1991 Bronco/F-Series trucks with hydraulic clutch controls. The kit consists of the following items:

^ A main reinforcement or doubler, with a plate having two studs to clamp the doubler through the cowl inner

^ Two additional pieces with three threaded holes:
One plate helps attach the main doubler through the dash inner tunnel. The other large piece is placed inside the front of the cowl, with bolts driven through from the engine compartment side of the dash reinforcement, see Figure 7.

John Haggerty

Birth Certificate
Reaction score
$9.77 for option 1 and $181.47 for option 2. Probably a long shot, but I'll check the yards for option 2. Thanks for the help.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
John Haggerty said:
$9.77 for option 1 and $181.47 for option 2. Probably a long shot, but I'll check the yards for option 2. Thanks for the help.

www.fordparts.com:
E3TZ-7K509-B BRACKET List -$144.72 Selling price - $106.37

$10.64 shipping

I just got one from them about 6 months ago for a buddies truck.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
krawlr said:
Small kit:

Use reinforcement kit E8TZ-7K509-A on these trucks. The only part in this kit is the special reinforcement for these trucks. To install it, proceed as follows:

1. Remove the two clutch master cylinder attaching nuts (13 mm) from inside the truck.

2. Position the reinforcement in place over the clutch master cylinder studs.

3. Re-install the two master cylinder nuts, Figure
6. Tighten to 9.5 - 14.9 N-m.

Large kit:

Use reinforcement kit E3TZ-7K509-B on all 1983-1991 Bronco/F-Series trucks with hydraulic clutch controls. The kit consists of the following items:

^ A main reinforcement or doubler, with a plate having two studs to clamp the doubler through the cowl inner

^ Two additional pieces with three threaded holes:
One plate helps attach the main doubler through the dash inner tunnel. The other large piece is placed inside the front of the cowl, with bolts driven through from the engine compartment side of the dash reinforcement, see Figure 7.

Now part of our FAQ! ;Sweet

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Agnem said:
Now part of our FAQ! ;Sweet

Mel,

Would you want me to type up the TSB for the FAQ? The copy I have is cropped slightly, but I am sure I could get it typed in a week or two.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you want to type it up, I'll be glad to add it.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I got the big kit from a member of the "other" board for $20, then picked one up from my local yard for about the same and did another member the favor of passing it on. They are out there, just gotta find them.

Sounds like a good deal.