Finally pulled the drivers head

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I Ive been working over 50 hrs a week and havent had time to work on the truck, so I took the week off to see what I could get done.

I think it took about 30 minutes to get everything unbolted, and man was that head a bear to get off!!!

But, the first three cylinders on the drivers side looked clean, no carbon and smooth walls. The 8th though, was pitted and rusty and looked to have been getting oil for a long time. I guess that would explain the miss, and ZERO compression on that cylinder.

I guess its finally time to pull the block and get another motor:mad:

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Why not just rebuild it? My experience with buying other engines has been a negative one to say the least.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not just rebuild it? My experience with buying other engines has been a negative one to say the least.

I would agree with this statement. If the bottom end is in good shape you could be O.K. getting new pistons and rings, boring the block and getting a gasket and seal set. Either way I wish you the best of luck in your endeavor.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just dont want to drop a lot of money into this block. Im going to pic up an 85 f350 with a 6.9 thats got a new injection pump, and the head gaskets were just done for 650.

Personally, I just need the truck to run long enough to find a crewcab.

I went and test drove the 85 today and it cold started and idled smoother then mine ever has. It also pulled harder and the throttle reponded quicker then mine did.

Mine needed new injectors and a pump, but I know what you guys mean about used motors, its always a crap shoot on getting a good one. But I figure I can part the truck out and scrap whats left to recover most of what I paid for the motor, and if anything happens down the road or I want to build it for power, ive got a good strong 6.9 block as the base.

Heck, I may rebuild the 7.3, but at the moment I need my truck back on the road and no bodies got a crewcab idi 4x4 forsale around where I live.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I went up yesterday and bought the f350, its an 86 not an 85.

Besides only being able to run about 55-60 on a 2.5 hour trip home, it ran great. It had plenty of power, and at 60 if I floored it it would put me back in the seat. This thing runs circles around what my motor would do!

Without a bed on the back it got a little squirrly when it started to rain, theres nothing better then looking straight down the road and find yourself drifting sideways.

So today I started tearing into things, Ive got both trucks side by side, and have everything unhooked and the motor ready to pull in my truck. The other truck just needs to be disconnected from the tranny and have the motor mounts unbolted.

If it hadnt started raining, I would have had both motors pulled and the new one set in, oh well I guess Ill be working on it tomorrow.

If anyone needs any parts off the truck, its an 86 f350 "dooley" with ac. Just ask and ill check to see if I have the part or if its any good.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No this isnt a crew cab, but I know where ones at that I can pull parts from. Only has
58,000 on it but was eaten by rust.

If I can get my motor back in Ill run over and take a look Friday.

Right know Ive got the opportunity to by an 89 f250 4x4 diesel for 400 and a 92 crewcab for 600. So I might have more parts if I can justify buying the vehicles.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the motors pulled out today and had to swap all the brackets for the alternator as well as the entire plate that the starter bolted to. The previous owner had stripped out all the bolt heads so I figured it was easier to just swap the entire assembly.

I also swapped the fuel pumps as mine was new as well as swapped my clutch assembly in place of the torque converter. Hopefully tomorrow ill have everything set in and ready to connect the wiring and ac.

The only hiccup was that when I pulled the motor I cought my brand new powerstroke oil filter and ripped the bottom off of it, the dang thing only had 30 miles on it same with the 12 qts of oil that are in the bad motor!

On another note, the f350 came with a mr gasket fuel pump and the thing seems to be working great, puts out enough fuel to hit the rev limiter pretty quick, im thinking about running it on my truck until it goes out, I figure It cant hurt anything.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The new motors in and running great. I have everything mechanical hooked up and Im using a mr gasket fuel pump that came with the other truck, I just need to wire that into the harness so it comes on with power to the key. (The pump seems to be working fine but Im probably gonna hooked the mechanical back up here soon)

Tomorrow I need to losen the injection lines and reinstall the harness and fuel return line. I also need to swap in the 7.3 glowplugs and bolt down the relay. Other then that there are only a few minor things to hook back up, (entire exhaust!!)

But I drove her home today about 15 miles and everything went great. Hopefully Ill have er all wrapped up in a couple of days.

P.S. I also scored one of those heater shutoff valves for a ranger from a buddy of mine. Im planning on installing that along with all the other stuff thats got to go back on.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not on mine but if Ill take a look and see what I can find. Ive been working 60 hrs a week so I havent been able to hit the yards, but Ill take a look this weekend and see what I can come up with.

What sort of price range are you looking at?