Few questions about new truck

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
I just picked up a 1990 F250 off CL. I'm picking it up tomorrow so no pics yet, but it ain't exactly a looker anyway. Truck has a few issues and I was wondering:

-Will the spare rear brake stuff (drums, shoes, hardware) I have for the '84 work on the '90?

-Maybe stupid, but will the 1-yr old IP I have on my 6.9 work "PnP" on the 7.3 or are there adjustments for proper running (besides timing)?

-Maybe even stupider, but can I replace the OEM fuel filter-W/S combo on the '90 with an older non-W/S filter? I have a separate W/S I'm putting on it anyway.

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First question, no idea. I dunno anything about brakes.

2nd question, yes, a 6.9 ip will work on a 7.3 and vice versa. No internal adjustment of the pump is necessary (or recommended) except maybe the fuel screw.

3rd question, well, its common to do it the other way around. Are you going to put the old filter on the newer style tower (doubt that would work)... or switch the whole filter assembly out?

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
3rd question, well, its common to do it the other way around. Are you going to put the old filter on the newer style tower (doubt that would work)... or switch the whole filter assembly out?

Yeah, I meant old-style filter on the newer-style assembly...if it would fit, I would prefer it that way to eliminate that hard-to-get-to water drain. My Racor cyclonic W/S does an excellent job, it removes crud from our home-made bio even better than the Vormax I had. I like having 2 filters, but 2 W/S's is pointless, and since the old W/S on my 84' crapped itself and sent debris everywhere through the fuel system I have come to only trust the cyclonic type.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 84' is most likely a Dana. Non-removeable drums.

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
The 84' is most likely a Dana. Non-removeable drums.

The '84 is a Dana 70 I think-- I had to remove the half-axles and bearings to get the hubs/drums off. So the '90 is probably a Sterling? If you can get the drums off by just removing the wheels then I won't mind getting new stuff so much.

Thanks everyone for your help...I am leaving in an hour, should be back by 5PM with the new victim...err, I mean truck. If you don't hear from me again there'll be an F250 with no brakes flipped over on the I-10 median that'll be up for grabs! :)

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
84's used a Dana rear end; 70 behind the diesels, 60 behind the gassers (I think). My 84 F350 came from the factory with a 60 and a 460.

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
OK, I got it home. Too dark for pics of the exterior, basically it's got only a few dings and some minor surface rust but needs paint badly. The bed floor is rusted badly, but sides are OK. Not very pretty in general.

The interior is actually in quite good shape, though.

You must be registered for see images attach

Seats front and back are perfect, as is dash and center cubby. Carpet dirty, cleanable. Most importantly, all electrical stuff works, even cruise control!

Engine: Runs pretty good, throws you back into the seat at 65, but IP leaks a bit externally

Trans: A bit jerky but improved over the 1.5 hr trip at 70mph, OD works, nice positive lockup

Needs: at least 2 tires, brakes sorted out, front alignment, new tailgate latches.

Sound system needed.

:rock:Probably paid too much, but I like it alot!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight

Members online