Favorite Trailer Brake Controllers

FaC

Reaction score
I traded a Reese digital for a Prodigy and I like the Prodigy a LOT. It seems to be a lot more progressive.

FWIW - FaC

jvencius

Reaction score
FaC said:
I traded a Reese digital for a Prodigy and I like the Prodigy a LOT. It seems to be a lot more progressive.

FWIW - FaC

I've got a Prodigy as well and even though I haven't used it a whole lot, I've liked how it responded when I did hook onto a trailer.

jvencius

Reaction score
kblackav8or said:
I had an old Tekonsha sentinal which I liked. My reese digital seems to lag too much so I think I am going to a Prodigy.

Should I tell you that I got my Prodigy for $50, like-new-in-box? Nah--I won't do it, you might get jealous.... ;p ;p ;p

RustyJC

Reaction score
I've run ramped time-based controllers, inertial controllers and now use the proportional Jordan controller. As far as I'm concerned, I'd only use the Jordan Ultima 2020 or the Brakesmart (if you could buy one). Both of these send output to the trailer brakes in direct proportion to what one's right foot does with the truck's brake pedal. The others don't, and that can cause big problems under adverse conditions - I have the t-shirt and soiled underwear to prove it! :rolleyes:

Rusty

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
RustyJC said:
The others don't, and that can cause big problems under adverse conditions - I have the t-shirt and soiled underwear to prove it! :rolleyes:

Rusty

Yep, been there and done that as well. Nothing like looking out your side window and seeing the 10,000 lb. backhoe passing you when it is supposed to be behind you. Nothing like the whiplash that occurs when the trailer runs out of room! :) The problem I found with the ramp up units is that they always ramp up the same, according of course to your adjustment. If I tune them to the lowest setting, my heavy tandom axle trailer still wants to skid the tires. No so with the Jordan.

tgatch

Reaction score
In top choice order for the RVers on different forums...

1. Brakesmart (Which isn't being sold at the moment as it appears the company is switching hands. You may be able to find some units still out there) Brakesmart
2. Jordan Ultima Jordan
3. Prodigy Prodigy

Oddly enough they are in cost order, from highest to lowest.

I personally have a Jordan and couldn't be happier at the price level. I have been very happy with its performance with my 12,000+lbs 5th wheel

Last edited:

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I started out with a ramp/time delay type :puke:

Then got a Jordan ;Sweet (applies the brakes on the trailer just like your applying the brakes on the truck)

Then when I purchased my current ride it had a proportional type controller which was pretty good but it was no Jordan - I ripped it out and installed my Jordan after a couple of tows.

I have not tried the brakesmart so I can't comment on it but looking at how they work I'm sure I would be as happy with it as I am with my Jordan.

With the Jordan I set the brakes on the trailer to just short of lock up when I was doing a panic stop so that even if I slam the brakes to the carpet then the trailer won't lock up and become the navigator for the entire mess. Makes for nice easy stops when beep bopping through town but still has the potential to bring the beast to a whoa on the highway with no change to the controller. That was the biggest problem with the ramp/time delay style, if you had it set so that it would throw you through the front windshield in town then it was like not having brakes on the trailer on the highway and vise versa the other way. With the Jordan if I need more braking effect I just step on the brakes a little harder...

82fordtruck

Reaction score
That Jordan looks really nice - Wish I had one. Prodigy here, and only a few complaints.