Fan Shroud Bolts

FordGuy100

Reaction score
What size, thread pitch, etc? Not familiar with any junkyards around here, so I would rather just buy a few new ones and call it good.

Stock radiator sprung a leak towards the top. Have a champion radiator ready to go with a motorcraft cap, along with new hoses. Just need those darned fan shroud bolts (been running around 'shroudless' for about two years now, I forget why I never put it back on (lazyness? LOL)).

Reaction score
IIRC, the 'nuts' for the shroud are threaded clips that go on the tabs of the radiator. On mine, I needed to move the shroud up just a tad when I installed my Champion because it was hitting the lower hose. To get the play I needed, I swapped out the stock shroud hardware with a couple bolts, nuts, and washers, which gave me enough slack to scoot it up just a bit.

Just a suggestion,

Mike

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Just find any big engine ford car or truck and take whats there. Make sure you get those horrible sheet metal type nuts that slide over the core support metal edges. You will see what I mean when you get in that deep. Reason I say to get the bolts and nuts is there is several differant types with differant threads and hex heads. I really hate mixing bolts like that. Your going to have to remove the top radiater hose too. So why not drain the rad and remove it. Its do it that way or remove the fan. Unless you have the short wide radiater. That one has a two piece fan schroud thats much easier to install or remove.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I've heard there might be clearance problems, thank you for the heads up. I still have those clips, just misplaced the bolts. I guess I can take a clip and get some bolts for it, and also get some nuts-n-bolts if I run into clearance problems.

Appreciated!

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Just find any big engine ford car or truck and take whats there. Make sure you get those horrible sheet metal type nuts that slide over the core support metal edges. You will see what I mean when you get in that deep. Reason I say to get the bolts and nuts is there is several differant types with differant threads and hex heads. I really hate mixing bolts like that. Your going to have to remove the top radiater hose too. So why not drain the rad and remove it. Its do it that way or remove the fan. Unless you have the short wide radiater. That one has a two piece fan schroud thats much easier to install or remove.

Radiator is already sitting on the side of the garage, and the champion is ready to go it ;Sweet

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any auto parts store should be able to get those nuts and bolts by the box or bag. I've got boxes of all those fasteners any more cause the nuts frequently break. Au-Ve-Co is one company that makes tons of those specialty fasteners. I personally would replace the nuts also.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions! After work I just stopped by home depot and got a couple M6 x 1.0 x 25mm bolts, some washers, and nuts. Top two fan shroud bolts line up perfect using those factory nuts/clips, bottom two I had to angle in the bolt (plastic shroud holes lower than radiator holes) and then used the nuts/washers. The radiator itself went in ok, only 3 of the 4 mounting points lined up, with the bottom passenger side being so far off it wasn't worth trying to do anything except the other 3. Tomorrow I will fill it up, and run it up to temp.