fan sensor

creighta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a lead on some cheap used e-fans. I want to get started on this conversion ASAP.

Lots of talk about this right now, but can anyone explain in idiot terms how I wire the fans to come on at temp?

Is there a sensor somewhere already or do I need to install one. If one is needed what does it look like and where does it go?

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You would be best off to just buy an electric fan control. Autozone even has them, there are typically two types, one is an adjustable that you can set the temp it comes on at, and the other is a set temp, usually set to come on at something like 185.

creighta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
had hoped to cobble something together for the sake of bragging rights. The aftermarket kits just have a probe that lays against the radiator don't they? I don't know if I trust that.

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some of the kits use a temp switch that screws into a spare hole in the water jacket of the block. The type I used on my truck has the probe in the radiator, the type that is on one of my tractors has the kind that you take a plug out of the block and screw the senser in place of it. I like that type much better but, the local autozone was out of them when I was doing my setup.

creighta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The plug in the block is what I want. I am a little unsure of what plugs go to what on the engine. Aren't there some ports there for oil too? Can anyone show me what ports are accessible for water? Whilw on this topic, where would I find oil ports for a turbo set up on the block?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those external probe deals are junk in my opionion. I tried one, and it didn't work very well. You need to use a standard temperature switch installed in the water jacket. Basically, your fan(s) are powered through a relay which feeds battery voltage directly to them. The relay is triggered with the temperature switch. Finding a good temperature switch that comes on and goes off at the temp you want can take some trial and error. I have had good luck with a 192 degree switch in the drivers side head (mirrored location of the heater core feed hose). I have 2 speed fans, so my higher temp is I think 210, and is in the factory overtemp switch location. This one has never been activated, but it worked when I tested it in a pot of boiling water, so I hope if it ever gets hot enough it works as planned.