fan clutch

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah my AC sucks and it tests good on my mechanic's gauges. Also I have high coolant temps and such when its hot out(all summer, mostly) so I have thought about MNR's fan clutch mod, or I think he also said that this is how they were from the factory on the IH version of the 6.9/7.3? Maybe he can explain? We'd love to hear it...is the IH application indeed direct drive and will it fit with a Ford F-series application? How much $$$? Cause I'm afraid this issue is just going to get worse when I add the turbo.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since mentioning PINNING fan-clutches, I have been in-undated with *** requesting just how to go about pinning the clutch and what the outcome will be.

Pinning the clutch is a simple matter.

Either drill through only the outer shell, thread the holes 5/16x18, and loctite bolts in the threaded holes (3 or 4 holes).

When you turn in the bolts, you will feel them pushing the clutches together, inside the housing.

Or, drill completely through the whole thing, all the way through, in 3 or 4 places, and install 3/8 grade 8 bolts w/lock-nuts.

Whichever method you choose, make sure all protruding bolts/nuts are clear of all moving parts and can't eat a hole in the radiator.

If you only want this modification in the hot summertime, or are afraid you might screw something up, or your clutch is still okay, go to a mechanic that sees a lot of these trucks and ask him for any junk fan-clutches he may have that fit these engines.

A junk clutch will PIN as well as a good clutch, and last just as long.

If you keep your existing clutch and PIN a junk clutch, you can install the PINNED clutch in summer, and install the un-pinned clutch in the fall/winter/spring, having the best of both worlds.:thumbsup:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online