Fan clutch and thermostat info?

Reaction score
The sender is installed at the front of the DS head, in place of the factory Over-Temp.

Mine's in the same place. I see 205°±5°F running around unloaded, sometimes into the 210s if running the AC and/or running up a long hill. Haven't worked mine as hard as yours, but with my heaviest load (4 sportbikes, a small trailer, and a bunch of gear), I saw as high as 230°F once while climbing a long hill. But typically the fan clutch in mine kicks in somewhere in the mid- to upper-220s. It's loud enough to notice and drops the temps QUICK. Actual engagement temps can vary greatly, especially if the AC is running. I still have the OE clutch.

What I have been told (by 'icanfixall' IIRC) is that the port we're using for the coolant temps is a hotter section of the engine due to reduced coolant flow in that particular area (or something to that effect). Actual temps are probably 5-7° lower. I keep meaning to prove that out (mainly to put my mind at ease) by swapping the sensor into the port for the OE gauge for a bit, but the 'honey-do' list and work has been getting in the way.

Mike

jrad235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd really like to get my hands on this fantastic Magtech fan clutch, but I can't find it online, can someone PLEASE send me a link?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I'd really like to get my hands on this fantastic Magtech fan clutch, but I can't find it online, can someone PLEASE send me a link?

Its not Magtech, Its M&S Tech ( first thing to go Gary LOL and you can find their poor excuse for a website here that has been temporaroly down for upgrades.... for about 5+ years now. Yes, the things pull air like crazy...... when they work. Mine decided to lay down on me on a trip out west grossing over 18k ( the thing had maybe 10k miles on it when it folded ), I made it back with an extra electric pusher fan thanks to my nice big Rodney Red radiator, but the folks at MS tech were shall we say, less than satisfying when it came to making good on their product, and at close to $400 that has left a rather sour taste in my mouth.
Unfortunately options are extremely limited, anything made by hayden is crap, and most you find in parts stores are hayden under a different name.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I see. So it sounds like I should see what Ford has to offer. Maybe a trip to the Junkyard for an OE one is in order. I appreciate the head's up on that, RLDSL

EDIT: Looks like I found it on Ebay, says it works for my truck and it is new Motorcraft #YB467.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360506433859?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Ironically the one MS tech uses is supposedly a ford factory clutch that they modify, but I've sure as heck never heard of a factory fan clutch crapping out with that few miles on it

DuRolf

1989 Ford E 350
Reaction score
I put my Napa water temp gauge in the passenger side rear most port of my 7.3 IDI. It was the easiest to access in my E350 chassis. Ford motor company in a communication said putting the probe in that port meant it would run hotter than the engine's "actual" temperature. Is the factory dash temp gauge probe further along in the coolant flow circuit, or closer to the cool coolant intake area?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The top drivers side of the block is the location for the dash gauge sender. Its right beside the injection pump gear cover. Now the over temp dash like sender is located in the front drivers side head. The coolant flow is into the block at the cylinders lowest part. Then it flows to the back of the head. Goes up into the head and flows towards the front of the head. Then it cross's under the injection pump where both sides of the block combine. Then it goes up thru the thermostat. The coolant flows thru the oil cooler back to front where the oil flows front to back.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Actual temps are probably 5-7° lower. I keep meaning to prove that out (mainly to put my mind at ease) by swapping the sensor into the port for the OE gauge for a bit, but the 'honey-do' list and work has been getting in the way.

Mike

Actually the temps are even hotter. I went and had custom adapters made that fit in my top radiator hose and I have 2 temp gauges probed into there. I am running a 185 deg high flow stat ( dont try this at home kids ) and I see the temps coming out of teh engine after its all been mixed up . I wanted to know exactly what my rad was getting fed ( I pull heavy a lot and that low temp stat just makes sure Its good and open when pulling, My operating temps are always well above 200 at the hose ( 195-200 is full open for that stat )

jrad235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I think what I'm going to do, since I'll be pulling some hills this month(One week long trip to Vegas), is to put my old fan clutch back on, since it seems to be locked up solid. Hopefully that will keep her cool with no issues. I will probably bring a new pump and therm with me just in case.