Fair price when buying ac system?

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's used what's fair to offer if I pull? Wanted to add ac last year but the one system I found was in crap shape

Thanks

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright cool I wasn't too far off. I was guessing 75 give or take on condition. I have a spare compressor too :)

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And you dont need everything inside the truck, just the controls and harness. If you do get it all, I may need a part or 2, my function door is broken and all I get is defog and vent.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can use polycarb or acrylic or something similar to fix the blend door, some foam for sealing. most of them are busted because of the force used when sealing. I will probably get most of the system if I do I'll see if the doors are decent.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
You don't want the compressor unless you can personally see the system run in it's present form, otherwise consider teh comp nothing but a core and get a new compressor ( I said new not repainted, er rebuilt, same thing, rebuilt comps rarely last any longer than used ones ) besides, you can get a new one for less than the cost of a rebuilt anyway

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't want the compressor unless you can personally see the system run in it's present form, otherwise consider teh comp nothing but a core and get a new compressor ( I said new not repainted, er rebuilt, same thing, rebuilt comps rarely last any longer than used ones ) besides, you can get a new one for less than the cost of a rebuilt anyway

I hear ya on that. These trucks generally use fixed orifice tubes don't they?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I hear ya on that. These trucks generally use fixed orifice tubes don't they?

You'll get better cooling performance with a variable orifice valve, although in Oregon, where AC is almost never needed, that one is a coin toss

jam sandwich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i paid 300$ for my rebuilt compressor from napa with the conversion kit, orifice tube and all new o rings.. works great. i highly recommend taking it to a shop with a vacuum machine to have it filled. using those r134 cans is a nightmare and NOT accurate.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score

I have had gret luck with used compressors, and even if one tears up i got a bunch more, they were all free:D

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
I have had gret luck with used compressors, and even if one tears up i got a bunch more, they were all free:D

ya know the few times i have grabbed compressors from the wrecker i have had good luck to. They have all worked.

But i gues you kind of be smart about what one you take for instance. Get a compressor from a AC system that's intact and probably charged and not one lying in the ground half covered in mud LOL

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a spare compressor thats good :D. Most people don't bother rebuilding compressors, I've done it before and it isn't hard.

Theres some tricks to getting the refrigerant out of the cans, hot pads for instance ;Sweet. Put a vaccuum on the system and a heated tank and she'll suck up a bit of it. Nothing beats one of those nice spendy systems though:angel:

I'll look into the cost of converting to VOV, do any of you have the part #s or anything for this? Is it a simple swap, they look about the same?

I've got flush, r134, dye, etc. I'll take some photos as I go if I get it this weekend:angel:

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
ya know the few times i have grabbed compressors from the wrecker i have had good luck to. They have all worked.

But i gues you kind of be smart about what one you take for instance. Get a compressor from a AC system that's intact and probably charged and not one lying in the ground half covered in mud LOL

I have always took compressors from vehicles that the system was intact and so far so good, never had one gernade

creighta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A new ac add on system is about $900. Do not forget to grab the black airbox under the hood at the firewall.