Factory wastegate adjust and pyro probe

SKimballC

Reaction score
I was digging through the archives doing some research and found this thread-
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5760&highlight=wastegate
I have a factory turbo I will hopefully be installing after a little, ahem, making things right- see my other thread- and since its off I figured I could check out the wastegate situation. It has a locknut on it and maybe 3/4 an inch of threads left. I pulled the rod off the wastegate but if I shorten it any more it won't reach to fit back on. The wastgate lever is at the end of its travel with the rod where it is. Does this mean that the wastegate is already maxed out?
As for the pyro, I will need to tap the exhaust somewhere for a probe. I can easily do it now with it all off. My current probe will reach the upper portion of the up-pipe, but I was considering putting it lower in that pipe or maybe even in the y-pipe. I keep hearing that lengthening the wires on a pyro affects its accuracy, so will an extra 18" be a big deal?
But back to the archives. Its such a good resource and easy to use. In a couple more years its gonna be a beautiful thing. :hail
Unlike a certain other forum that shall go unnamed with its worthless search engine.

pafixitman

Reaction score
Shane,
When I had my turbo off in SC last summer, I shortened the rod, but it still reached. I'm not sure if yours won't reach what the deal is. Aric is a good resource on that.

My pyro is in the y pipe on the drivers side.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Don't add wire to the pyro. I remember something about it changing the resistance and the reading. When you say the rod wont reach when you adjust it try moving the lever that opens and closes the valve in the hot side of the turbo. It may be stuck closed or partly open. Mine was all rusted up because I was burning about 6 gallons of coolant and water per 32 miles back and forth to work. It would even spray out the tail pipe and blacken "thing" like small rice rockets and shiney new rims. Much better than giving free soot baths to those difficult drivers and tighty pants bike riders that hog up the road.:D I learned that from Mel or Zigg. I can't recall for sure. It was some guys laughing at his yellow scuffed tire at a stop lite. So he flipped on the propane and hammered it when the lite turned green.... Neat trick:D :rotflmao

SKimballC

Reaction score
The wastegate will open and close freely. It is completely closed with the rod at its current position and if shortened any more it can't fit back on the wastegate lever. This is my first time monkeying with a wastegate, so it doesn't make complete sense yet.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know what brand of pyro you have but Isspro says adding extension wire to their pyro is fine.

Jim

Really? For what gauge? Last I saw, their directions cautioned AGAINST such things.

deanj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the rod is screwed in to far = maxed. Go to your friendly local dealer and see if you can measure a stock one. Is the diafram ok? As for the pyro why not put it in the exhaust manifold opposite the exhaust port? This will give you the most accurate reading (unless it is a post turbo pyro).

SKimballC

Reaction score
Friendly local dealer? That's an oxymoron.:eek:
I don't want to put the probe in the exhaust manifold because that would require lengthening the wires the most, plus it'd be a real PITA. I have the up-pipe and y-pipe off the truck so tapping one of those would be the easiest. I guess I am going to put it where it'll reach, somewhere in the area of halfway up the up-pipe.
I figgered out the wastegate. Its maxed out. I see no signs of there having been gauges installed, so maybe that's why the engine and turbo ended up in the wrecking yard.:fan:

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised you needed to lengthen it. Usually the cable is just the right length to go from A pillar to passenger side manifold area. You must have taken a rather circuituitous routing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bsims

Members online