Factory Turbo Exhaust Outlet Mod

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
I may have missed something but why did you go to all that trouble for a 3 inch down pipe?Banks makes a kit that already has a 3 inch down pipe and goes 4 inch past the muffler?

the factory outlet has a ID that is less than 2.5". with what i have done the ID is now 3", big difference. the banks dp is only like 2.75" from what i recall, so not a true 3" dp. the psd dp that i got is a true 3". the thing with banks is you are paying for the name. i think the banks system is twice what i have into my exhaust and mod to the housing. the biggest i have seen for these trucks from banks is 3.5" all the way back.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry about reviving such an old thread however it's the closest thing I've found relating to my current position. The original poster illustrated how he modified a factory ATS housing by welding a 3" V-band flange to it. I've purchased the exact same parts and intend doing the same. Before I disassemble my housing, where can I get the gasket that goes between this housing and the rest of the turbo assembly? Is it still available???

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still have not bolted mine on due to one of my outlet bolts wanting to strip. I have been told they are 8mm 12 point but it seems too loose. 5/16 is worse. Almost seems like a need a 7.5mm. Post back what worked for you. To answer your ques, I do not think there is a gasket there. I think it is a machined fit.

racin460

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5/16-12 point is what they are the bolt size is 5/16-nft all 12 point are the size head as the same size thread. I had to take a cheap socket and beat it on and use heat to get one out myself. just to let you know I think you might have a problem getting that downpipe to line up, the turbo flange points strait down and the way your down pipe is strait to the flange it will be pointing at the bell housing. I just did mine last week and I had to make the flange on the down pipe about45* angle guessing on that not exactly shore. I bought the dp off ebay and cut it in four pieces and tig it back together to make it fit like it should. I'v been meaning to call Mel on the gasket thing because it looks like there was one there originally and I cant remember its been to long ago since I took it apart and I cant find one that fits....

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
the exhaust housing doesnt have a gasket, i just brushed it all down with a wire brush then gave it a couple of coats of copper spray gasket being careful not to get any on the hot wheel

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another question related to the factory ATS turbo / exhaust system. When I bought this turbo it came with a cast iron "Y" that I assume one leg bolts to the passenger side exhaust manifold, another attaches to the crossover pipe, and the third, it appears the cast iron tail from the turbo attaches to it. This attachment point concerns me because there is no fastening method (bolts) to attach these two components and there are no gaskets or a donut designed to seal one surface to the other??? Does the turbo just "sit there"? It seems there would be a terrible exhaust leak without a gasket nor fastening method?

pafixitman

Reaction score
There is a gasket between the turbo and pedestal. It has been 10 years for me but iirc I could not buy the gasket and just made one. I also think the mount used studs and nuts but again I think I just got new bolts to use.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Diesile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may be refering to the press fit turbo up pipe/Y connector pipe. the up pipe is a 'ball' of sorts and fits into the 'socket'
on the Y pipe. That allows for some alignment between the the up pipe and turbo.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, that's the one! I haven't installed this turbo yet (still waiting for some of the parts) however this cast iron "Y" up pipe looks like a potential exhaust leak. Should there be a gasket between the "Y" up pipe and the cast iron pipe coming down from the turbo? What seals it?

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like what I see here, but my ignorance is in the way. I've got a turbo setup in a box and I'm missing a few parts, the down pipe is one of them. What are you guys doing here - is the factory stuff that restrictive?

You must be registered for see images attach

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, that's the one! I haven't installed this turbo yet (still waiting for some of the parts) however this cast iron "Y" up pipe looks like a potential exhaust leak. Should there be a gasket between the "Y" up pipe and the cast iron pipe coming down from the turbo? What seals it?

What are you waiting for? I have some parts. and most of the gaskets.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still waiting on the thermocouple, 3" stainless flange, the gauge pod, and ARP 400-1209 stainless fasteners (5/16" NFT X 1" 12 point) for the housing. I'm also considering swapping the exhaust clamps provided by Diamond Eye??? Hopefully the other parts will arrive for this weekend.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online