factory turbo boost numbers

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally got my factory Turbo kit installed, I tried the bank kit but it fought back.

The truck runs a lot better and gets the 38s turning much more easily.

I find that i get little to no boost free revving it. When cruising it sets at zero until o get on it and it jumps to around 3-6psi. The Max I'm able to get is 8-9 floored running at the governor. I am able to pull a 25ft camper at 65 without knowing its there which is nice.

Are these decent numbers without adjusting the wastegate? I seem to start spooling the Turbo around 1300rpms. I just figured id have more boost just cruising then i do.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats about typical for a stock turbo setup or the 093.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's good to know. I'm going to try and adjust the wastegate rod tomorrow. I'm curious about the different compressor wheels that are available for this Turbo. I may run it for a not and install the banks kit to see what it will do in comparison.

biggin92

Yeeeee Haaawwww
Reaction score
With the wastegate unhooked and the fuel turned up, i am running 16 pounds of boost

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bet it pulls pretty hard. Mine pulls better than it did but not really as hard as I figured it would. It just maintains speed a lot better with a load on it.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
not enough of a load at idle to really spool the turbo enough to see any boost.

My 088 with a fresh CHRA will make 15 pretty easy. I see 3-4 driving around town light, 10 usually accelerating.

I'm thinking about buying some hot side parts i saw in the marketplace to mount my own garrett turbo.

Have a GT35 turbo sitting in the box in my shop that i've been thinking about mounting on this truck. The 088 is fine but i want MORE.

maybe i'm just cookoo

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We always want more lol. I just wish I had a shop. Working on a lifted truck just plan sucks. The only nice part is I can sit up under the truck lol.

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
i get the same numbers biggin gets. just plugged wastegate and pump maxed. i did find a pre-turbo exhaust leak while doing my 5 speed swap though, may be able to get another pound or two of boost now that it isn't leaking out of my up-pipe

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
Billy, i had several boost leaks that i couldnt hear with my 088 but i could see the soot building over a few weeks.

I used acoustiseal on ALL the joints. Picked up another 2 psi!

biggin92

Yeeeee Haaawwww
Reaction score
Yeah it pulls pretty hard, i still need to have my truck timed i don't think it's right. one day i will find a zf to stuff in it and really feel some balls come out of it!

johnnyb1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought my 87 a couple months ago. I'm pretty sure the pump has been turned up and I get the same numbers as crazyasian with my Banks.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ill have to play around with the wastegate a tonight, I don't need a whole lot of boost yet, I don't trust my headgaskets for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent