Factory turbo 4x4 on CL

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
http://mobile.craigslist.org/cto/2307519520.html

I'm going to see it in about an hour. The seller says it's a factory turbo IDI model. I've never even seen one of these in person. What should I look out for? I also have no 4x4 experience, are there any things to check before making an offer?

Chime in quickly, please! Leaving at 6PM central, I'll make him an offer that will be influenced by what I hear from you guys...thanks!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://mobile.craigslist.org/cto/2307519520.html

I'm going to see it in about an hour. The seller says it's a factory turbo IDI model. I've never even seen one of these in person. What should I look out for? I also have no 4x4 experience, are there any things to check before making an offer?

Chime in quickly, please! Leaving at 6PM central, I'll make him an offer that will be influenced by what I hear from you guys...thanks!
imho that is a "ray charles" deal. haggle a little but bring the full amount. make sure everything works and the title and the seller's DL matches and dig up the money.

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
For that price you cant be too picky

Yeah, but people around here haven't figured out the value of these trucks, they all want Pstrokes, Dmaxes and Cumm-ons. I already told him I was "a bit disappointed it's not a Powerstroke" :(

e: Specifically, I'm asking ya'll if there's anything special I need to know about turbos and transfer cases...I don't think I could tell a good one from one that's about to poop itself.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Yeah, but people around here haven't figured out the value of these trucks, they all want Pstrokes, Dmaxes and Cumm-ons. I already told him I was "a bit disappointed it's not a Powerstroke" :(

e: Specifically, I'm asking ya'll if there's anything special I need to know about turbos and transfer cases...I don't think I could tell a good one from one that's about to poop itself.

The only thing you will see bad by a visual inspection is oil leaks, tire wear(ball joints) or rust

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can take it in a field and up a hill or two in 4x4. Make a few turns, and get into it a little so you can make sure the front tires are pulling their weight. Listen for any funny noises. Thats all I do to check on 4x4. Factory turbos are nice. OEM fit and finish on everything is a plus, plus they were somewhat designed for the turbo, as well as having better rods.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Thats a deal that comes around once in a lifetime there buddy. I wouldn't expect him to go down on that one a whole lot. It looks to be in very good condition from what I can see from the pics.
Hell, guys around here want $2k just for a factory turbo motor! Go buy that sucker before someone else on the forum steals it out from under you.

Oh yea, stuff to check for. Pull the oil cap, look for milky residue on the bottom of it and the funnel area of the timing cover. Also, it should be completely expected of you to check for damage of the turbocharger. Bring some tools and pull the top cover of the air box off and remove it from the turbo, look at the compressor wheel closely for wear along the edges or damaged blades. Check for shaft play, some side to side play is normal, its the front to back that you need to worry about. If you can pull and push the shaft of the turbo front and back and noticeably feel it move, that turbo is due for replacement. If you can stop by an IH dealer or heavy duty diesel store, pick up a test strip for the coolant. If no signs of DCA4 coolant additive are in the system then I'd be leery of it possibly having cavitation.
Thats about all I can think of, aside from whats already been mentioned.

Last edited:

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
OK just came back from looking at it. I wish I had seen 6 Nebraska IDI's post before I left about the turbo...but tomorrow I'm going back to look at it again and do a test drive. It has a '93 engine with 221K on the body (which is outstanding- no rust at all, tailgate too!) and allegedly 107K on the engine. The 4X4 is non-op because the seller "hadn't gotten the front shafts back in after the engine swap yet" (red flag?) The original engine overheated and seized, he said, and the title is good and clear. It has "new rebuilt" injectors from Pensacola Diesel and an IP from a N/A '91 (small red flag, probably why the idle is a little rough). The E4OD (red flag?) is also a "new" used swap.

I need to take it for a drive, but so far....I WANT IT! It's so pretty!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight

Members online