Factory tow package wiring harness Q

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
Ok.... A trusty VOM and some help from Kitty, helped me figure out what each wire was for...

First, the wire I thought was dark green turned out to be BLACK with GREEN Tracer. It is for trailer backup lights.

Here's what I have:

Plug 1-

ORANGE = Trailer 12+ (Battery charge line) 12ga
BLUE = Trailer brakes 12ga
BLACK/GN Stripe = Trailer backup lights 14ga

Plug 2-

WHITE = Ground 12ga
????? = Right turn
????? = Left turn
????? = Marker/Tail lights

I was working with a flash light and couldn't tell the last three colors. I'll update, when I figure them out. For now, my problem is solved!

Thanks to everyone for the help!

HOOTsF350

Reaction score
I just went through all this a couple of weeks ago. I just bought my truck a month ago and had a new controller mounted on the dash.
When I got home the brakes were not working on my trailer when hooked up and the running lights did not work either. So I tore into the trailer wiring and found some bad and unconnected wires. Rewired the trailer still no brakes. Started running down the wireing in the trucks' plugs on backend. Everything looked goodand nothing worked right still.
2 days of going nuts and now delaying my trip I had about had it. I took it to a RV Dealer place and all they could do was to hook my trailer to an employees truck there. That determined the issue was in my truck not my trailer.
I undid wat the controller installer did and Lo and Behold there it was staring me right in the face. The ground wire was loose. Rewired it back in and used better connectors and I was on my way.
SO why all this babble you ask.... welllll Trailer wiring varies from plug type to plug type and manufacturer to manufacturer. Then Ford changes from year to year and nothing is standard and 75% of the answers you get will be wrong.
Green at the truck end may not be green in the trailer. Colors change as the component changes. Green is just an example.
Colors also fade over time and are hard to distinguish if using artificial light up under the truck.
I went by the brake controller's diagram for my year ford to wire it in.
Then by the R V Plug diagram for it and my trailer manual for those colors.
I installed new plug and all new wires in the trailer. When all is done it is so simple you wonder how it ever got so crazy. Use your meter, take your time and all will come out fine. Mine did, all I had was a test light and I'm no where near an electrician.

I wish I would of wrote down what was what now but figured I would try to get new harnesses since mine looked kinda bad and spliced into many times.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to this but I was out of town and had to focus on cutting hay today.

I took a couple of pictures that may be of some use. I see you've already made progress with your problem but will put these here for future searches.

Here is a picture of the cover for the RV plug. If you look closely it has the factory part number at the top. It shows the function of each pin.
You must be registered for see images attach

Here is the inside of the plug. The large pin at the top is the ground.

I tried to get a better shot of the back of the plug but the wires are mostly covered by a rubber boot. If I had more time today I would have removed the boot and gotten a good picture of the wires and where they fit on the plug. The large white wire is definitely ground.

I will most likely go ahead and get a picture without the boot on just for clarification of the wire colors.