Factory tow package wiring harness Q

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
When I broke the rear spring hanger, I also broke all the wires the PO had run for the trailer connector. When I decided to try pulling the new camper, I re-wired the trailer harness and plug.

I talked to the owner of DeHaven's trailer sales, in Winchester, VA and asked about the factory brake controller wiring. He showed me the connector under the dash and then explained the brake controller plug, which is near the receiver.

He then drew me a diagram of all the factory trailer light wires and their colors. Then he told me what the colors were, that were marked on the RV connector itself.

When he explained the factory brake controller wiring, he told me what the colors went to.. Leave it to me, to forget one!

Blue=Trailer brakes
Orange=Switched trailer battery charge wire
Green=??????

I want to say, that the green is the ground, for the brake controller. It is a 12 or 10ga wire, so I want to pick your brains and see if it is a ground....

Thanks guys!

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Typical trailer wiring colors are as follows:

Yellow is left turn
Green is right turn
Blk/Grn is backup lamps
Orange is 12v+
Brn/Wht is Marker lamps
Blue is trailer brakes
White ground

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
Typical trailer wiring colors are as follows:

Yellow is left turn
Green is right turn
Blk/Grn is backup lamps
Orange is 12v+
Brn/Wht is Marker lamps
Blue is trailer brakes
White ground

That's the colors he gave me, on the hand-written diagram. The green I am talking about, is the 12/10ga one that is in the Ford factory towing package harness...

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I had to fix the butchered wiring on my truck the RV plug cover had the pinout on it. I just noted what colors were on what pin and their function. It's a 93 with the factory tow package.

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
When I had to fix the butchered wiring on my truck the RV plug cover had the pinout on it. I just noted what colors were on what pin and their function. It's a 93 with the factory tow package.

When I bought this truck, it had two factory plugs that were not hooked to anything. They were between the rear fuel tank and the bumper. One of them is for trailer lights and the other is for the trailer brake controller. I have never found a pinout for these two plugs. The trailer light connector had four wires in it (Pretty self-explanatory) and the brake control plug had three in it. Blue, orange and dark green. It's that dark green, that I'm trying to figure out.

The PO just added one of those "T" style trailer light connectors, for the trailer lights and left the two factory plugs alone. I know that the relay/fuse box under the hood has relays and fuses for both of those connectors, but don't see that dark green wire up there.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it is a heavy wire it is probably a ground, but like you said you should be able to verify that with your VOM.

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My brake controller a Prodigy has the green wire as being the brake lights under the dash that the brake activation wire goes to for the brake controller. Don't know if yours is the same.

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I searched through all the wiring diagrams earlier for 92 and up F series and this is the only mention of a DK Green wire in the trailer connector throughout all the wiring. If you go to the trailer connector wiring in the book, there is no DK Green wire there.

You must be registered for see images attach

I apologize for the quality, my scanner is on the basement computer and it is currently crapped out, so I had to just take a picture of it.

If you look at the wire you can see it goes through a 5 amp fuse and then to the ORange/Light Blue wire in the multi-function switch. If you go to the Orange /light blue on the multi-function switch, it is right side directional lights and Engine compartment F/B.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am in Williamsburg this week but am going home tomorrow. I will look at mine and report back.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I wired up the stereo in the Lady Moose, I thought it was gonna be cake, cause I had the right model year wiring diagram, right from Ford. NOT! About half the wire colors were wrong. I never could decide if they used different wire, if the colors changed on there own from age, or if the document was wrong. :dunno

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
green is typically ground

Not on RV or automotive wiring. Green is Grd. in AC voltage wiring.

If that Green wire goes to the rear, it could have possible have been used for electric over hydraulic braking, and that would require a 9-pin receptacle, unless they would have used the center pin on the 7-way.

White or black is Grd. in DC voltage wiring. Predominatly White, if there is no white then black is the Grd.

I don't recall ever seeing a Green 10 or 12 Ga. wire going to the rear of the vehicle for a 7 pin receptacle. If it is a heavy gauge wire 10/12, that is usually used for power.

According to Tekonsha for electric brake controls.

Ford OE harness Brake control wires
RED BLACK +12 VDC
LIGHT GREEN RED STOPLIGHT
WHITE WHITE GROUND
DARK BLUE BLUE TRAILER BRAKES
BROWN N/A

In 2002 up on Fords

PINK BLACK +12 VDC
RED RED STOPLIGHT
WHITE WHITE GROUND
BLUE BLUE TRAILER BRAKES
BROWN N/A

A typical Ford harness to the rear 7-way recptacle.

ORANGE 10 Ga. Battery +12 VDC
White 10 Ga. Ground -12 VDC
Blue 12 Ga. Brakes
Red 14 Ga. Left Stop/Turn
Brown 14 Ga. Rght Stop/Turn
Green 14 Ga. Marker/Tail/License
Yellow 14 Ga. Aux. or Backup lights.

This may help. Or GO HERE

Last edited: