Factory Alcoa Lug Nuts

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
Okay I read a million posts about this subject. Some say you need the 1 1/16 lug nuts, others say 7/8, one said the large lugs will hit the center caps. I tried my 7/8 lugs on the ones I picked up and they looked too small . Then yesterday I,m walking down 41st in nyc and there is a ford van with alcoa's and small lugs. So I went by an old schoolmates house around the corner from me and looked at his powerstroke obs and he has small lugs too. Does anyone out there know the real answer? thanks

Reaction score
My experience comes from using aftermarket center caps (the ones you find on ebay), but you DO need lugs with a 7/8" hex for them to fit. They will NOT clear the 1-1/16" lugs that came stock on my bricknose. I believe the same holds true even if you use the OEM Ford caps. It's just that much more crtical with the aftermarket ones since they grab the outer edge of the lugs to stay in place (as opposed to the OEM caps which snap into tangs cut into the wheel's hub).

Ford changed the hex size some time after my truck, perhaps with the change from bricknose to OBS. Not sure when, exactly.

Mike

rattleonby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The answer is yes to the 7/8" lugnuts your seeing on the alcoas on obs trucks. Its really all about the mounting surface. If its a FLAT mounting surface around the stud holes like my steel wheels on my dually or the alcoas ford wore from the factory you need those ford 7/8" flat mounting face style lugnuts for the proper torque and mounting contact. Personally i think they work well for higher torque wheels like ours because of the built in sort of washer they have. Of course conical or "acorn" or cone style lugnuts are for the wheels with the accepting concave groove around the stud holes as you probably see mostly with single rear wheel trucks with steel wheels from the factory. Sorry to get technical but just want ya to roll safe on all that old ford steel ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance