Facet/Duralift filter -- waterblock???

gandalf

Reaction score
Wondering if the bowl filter on the Duralift pumps are water-blockers...?

Do you mean as in, there is water in the bowl filter of the pump and it won't allow fuel through? I find it a bit hard to fathom that (pardon the terrible pun). The water is a liquid, just as the diesel, and should pass through that filter. As I recall the Duralift filter is an 80 micron filter---more of a screen for the really big crap.

There are tree things I'd do.

1) Unscrew the bowl and pull the filter, take a look. Actually, you should be able to see water in the bowl if it's there.

2) Undo the fuel line just ahead of the stock filter and crank the engine. If you get diesel gushing out you can discount the Duralift.

3) Undo the hard line coming out of the stock filter and crank again. If you get fuel gushing out, good.

You did route the fuel lines around the stock fuel lift pump, didn't you? Leaving it in play along with an electric lift pump can be a bad thing.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I think what he is asking is: Is the filter screen element in the bowl of the DuraLift have water blocking capability? If this is the question, I believe the answer is no. It will allow water through just like diesel. Most water block filters have a surface or membrane over the filter that has "holes" large enough for the designed liquid to pass (in this case diesel) but the "holes" in the membrane are not large enough for a water molecule to pass through........

Think of it as a screen...... the holes in a screen are small enough that a fly can't get through, but a gnat can...... same idea....

I've not handled a Duralift pump in person, yet.... (may be getting one soon for the Jetta) but I believe the "filter" actually screen in the bowl is just to keep pebbles from passing through.... it will let the smaller "dust and dirt" through for the filter to catch.......

Mad Maxine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think what he is asking is: Is the filter screen element in the bowl of the DuraLift have water blocking capability?

Yes, that's what I was wondering. I installed a Goldenrod water filter in place of the old water separator, but I'm skeptical of it. So, I thought it would be super-cool if by installing the Facet pump I could get rid of both the mechanical pump AND the Goldenrod filter. Kill two birds with one stone, so to speak. But, I guess not. Unless they make a water-block filter element for that pump. I guess someone will chime in if they know.

Thanks!

Reaction score
It's a strainer, and not really a filter. Definitely isn't a water separator and isn't a good enough filter to rely on it alone.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I would go with a separate water block.
I can't remember the exact way but most filters are best at separating water on the suction side of the pump. (Or vise versus)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

gandalf

Reaction score
Yes, that's what I was wondering. I installed a Goldenrod water filter in place of the old water separator, but I'm skeptical of it. So, I thought it would be super-cool if by installing the Facet pump I could get rid of both the mechanical pump AND the Goldenrod filter. Kill two birds with one stone, so to speak. But, I guess not. Unless they make a water-block filter element for that pump. I guess someone will chime in if they know.

Thanks!

I have both the Duralift fuel pump and the Goldenrod filter, in that order, mounted on the frame rail. They feed into the stock fuel filter. Works well for me.;Sweet

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah,there is no filter whatsoever with a duralift.there is a stainless screen but this isn't a filter nor is it a water seperator.

that said,since iv installed the duralift i no longer get water in my oem filter bowl anymore.instead it collects at the bottom of the duralift bowl.i empty approx a table spoon per month.
that said,just because it does collect all the water now,doesn't mean id rely on it solely as such.