Fabricating a t3 or t4 flange onto ats up pipe

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have an ats 088 turbo kit on my 6.9. I have been thinking about trying to fab up a t3 or a t4 flange on it. I would like to have the flange in the same location as the banks kit and the hypermax so it would still be in the center of the engine. Was wondering if anybody had done this yet because I can’t find much for the 088 as far as custom stuff. I would definitely be ditching this turbo and going to an s360 with some r&d goodies. I already have an hx35 with a 16 cm exhaust housing so I would run that until I could afford the other stuff.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Although the 088 isn’t the best turbo, I think you will have a worse performance with the hx35. They have a smaller compressor wheel than the 088, and that’s the limiting factor with your turbo setup already. I can upgrade the 088 for you and it will outperform that hx35 significantly: https://classicdieseldesigns.com/co...-parts/products/ats-088-rebuilds-and-upgrades

If you want to change the turbo location, I would modify the crossover to have a v band outlet on the passenger side, then remake the y pipe and up pipe to suit your needs. Trying to build something around the stock y pipe can be pretty tricky with the crappy old cast iron being what it is.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HX35s are just way too small for our application. Too big of an engine - it chokes off the top end.

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Although the 088 isn’t the best turbo, I think you will have a worse performance with the hx35. They have a smaller compressor wheel than the 088, and that’s the limiting factor with your turbo setup already. I can upgrade the 088 for you and it will outperform that hx35 significantly: https://classicdieseldesigns.com/co...-parts/products/ats-088-rebuilds-and-upgrades

If you want to change the turbo location, I would modify the crossover to have a v band outlet on the passenger side, then remake the y pipe and up pipe to suit your needs. Trying to build something around the stock y pipe can be pretty tricky with the crappy old cast iron being what it is.
Yeah that would be cool to re make the y pipe and everything. After searching more a guess I basically want to copy how the banks sidewinder kit is routed. Because it’s basically the same as the 088 but it just has a bend.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
welding the cast Y pipe isn't hard, keeps things fairly stock.
I kept the cast Y due to ease of interchangeability for my up pipes.
so that the stock cast slip fit could be eliminated for a leak free operation.
its not hard at all to make these, its not hard to do your own either.
but if im separating the exhaust, I prefer to make my own.

You must be registered for see images attach

onetonjohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IDIiot - That Y pipe to up pipe (I think that's what it's called-still learning all the terms/components) fabrication is a thing of beauty. What gauge tubing are you using? Will 16 gauge work? Does it hold up OK? It seems much thinner than stock exhaust. Curious what's recommended here.

Last edited:

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
16 ga 304 SS I used 2.5" tubing.
its just exhaust work

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love doing exhaust.
headers in hotrods have always been my one thing I love to do.
lots of fubardness,
but ive came a long way.
52 chevy headers I did.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a bit of a update for you folks!
I had a question about these up pipes fitting with Justin's return rails.
while they physically fit, I.. personally would plug the end and perhaps even shave it down a bit.
this is completely up to you if this is the way you choose to go.