F800 strange battery issues

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My employer has a '97 F800 that we use for local deliveries (16' flatbed, air brakes, powered by a 5.9 Cummins). Since our office only has 4 regular employees I play part-time mechanic.

We use the truck fairly regularly. Last weekend the temps dipped into the single digits overnight a couple times. When I went out to try to start the truck this past Monday, the batteries were dead, and I mean dead dead. The engine would turn over once and then click-click-click. I tried to jump start it off my truck and that didn't work. Our truck driver came in and brought a battery charger (big wheeled unit), we left that hooked up for a few hours and the best we could get out of it was 4 or 5 slow cranks. By the way, our driver said he had been in just before the weekend and had started the truck and had it running. Oh, the truck has three Group 31 batteries in it.

I can't figure out what happened to these batteries- did the cold just completely kill them? We've had the truck for 3 years, I pulled the batteries out today and none of them have a date marked on them that I can find but two have the stickers you're supposed to punch out and the highest year on it is '06 so I'm figuring they're at least 4-5 years old (there's also two of one brand and one of another brand...they may not be the same age, either). Just seems really weird.

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
The cold does kill em, especially with such a high amp draw(starting and grid heter). The truck I drive at work is an 06, and it has to have new batteries every 18 months at the longest. Have them tested, but I'd bet they're toast. A little solar charger may help keep em alive longer.

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This truck has no grid heater...just an ether injection system that we've never put a can on :dunno

Well I'll have to take the batteries out somewhere to test them next week I guess.

bigoilburner20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea batteries sound toast they don't last to long on big trucks heck my grandpa before he retired he told me the other day.he had to change his batteries every 2 years until about 10 years ago when he bought a solar charger.(hint hint) he says ever since then he only had to replace I think one of those group three batteries twice.So who knows a solar charger does keep them up

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online