Extended Idling

rickrat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the 6.9 engines, is it harmful for the engine to idle for extended periods? I have heard both, some say it doesn't hurt anything, others say the oil pressure is lower at idle and will damage the engine.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The main issue is what they refer to as Wet Stacking which happens with the combustion temps get real low and the fuel doesn't burn completely. I'm not sure how much of an issue this is in our IDI's, since the prechamber area is small and easily kept hot. I once locked myself out of my truck years ago when it was running, and it idled for 3 hours until the locksmith came. I did my head gaskets some time after that, and saw no evidence of any kind of problem. About the only thing I would strongly suggest is that you shorten your oil change interval if you do this often.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the temperatures are below freezing, I'd suggest rigging a manual switch for the high idle so engine temp is kept up, but, otherwise, extended idling is pretty much a non issue.

sootman73

Reaction score
i usually leave my truck idling when i go into a store such as walmart(well i guess not anymore:angel: ) or the auto parts store. i may spend an hour or so inside with my truck rattlin' outside. i have 208,000 miles on it and havent had to touch the engine yet. the only thing that has been done to it(before i had it) was the belt tensioner was replaced and the TPS. i changed glow plugs. i have almost all of the maintenance records from the previous owners.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online