expected more whistle...

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It should spin a few revolutions when you give it a twist with your fingers. PAFixItMan won first place in the turbo whistle category at one of the rallies, and his was a factory turbo, so I know they can definitely whistle.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I read an article about how the ricers made their turbos whistle more. they notched the inlet fan blade. Doing so requires the blade to be rebalanced too. I did not actually see the blade notch either but I'm sure there are some utube videos of this too. I will not be doing theis just to hear my whistle either..

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well maybe there is my problem then, i don't recall my turbo wheel spinning freely at all when i turned it with my finger..gonna double check tonight but if i remember it felt as though it had resistance to it .. would be my luck!!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The turbo wheels need to spin freely. Do this first. Start the engine with the filter removed so you can watch the fan spinning. Now remove the fuel shutoff wire on the injection pump and watch the fan spinning down to a stop. then reach in and try spinning it. It should spin a few revolutions. If there is resistance to free spinning then I would feel correct saying your bearing bushings in the turbo are coked up and needs repair. Might need a new shaft or just bushing bearings and seals. But if you go into it have it done at a shop you know and trust. I recommend Mel or russ for this. also have the rotating parts balanced for a long life. these turbos spin upwards of 120,000 rpm. thats 1200 rpm per SECOND....:eek: What can you do that many times per second.. Nothing I'm betting... Balance is a critical thing when something spins that fast and a micro gram is whats going to make it spin freely for a long time giving good long term life. Russ can do some magic to make more boost and hp too.

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok so it will do a couple revolutions when i push it with my finger.. i let it run and had my boy shut the engine off and once off it spun few revolutions befre stoping..it maybe spun for a second and slowed a tad and stopped..myself i would think it should have wound down a little more before stoping... but thats just my thought..seems like it turns good when tuck is running so i don't now..

whitehorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounds about right I think, that's what my banks does. The ball bearing turbo spins much more freely, probably what your thinking of.

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah am thinking like the old scateboard wheel type bearing... ok well at least the turbo seems ok then...oh well gotta get it all buttoned back up soon so gonna stop chasing the whistle i guess...

whitehorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't stop chasing it... It can whistle like nobody's business...i was at the 2006 ralley in chattanooga tenn. when PAFixItMan won best whistle. I got a friend in north GA with a 92 crew cab 4x4 dually with a ats turbo that whistles loud so its something we are over looking i would think...

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
true.. i am no diesel tech, hell if not for this site i woulda sold the damn truck long ago...learning as i go..just to go over everything since i got the truck, it has 289k miles, factory turbo, baby moose ip and bb injectors with only max of 4k miles on them, new 3" down pipe... thats the specs.. as far as i know nothing else has been done.. my exhaust still isn't hooked up and neither is the air box...basically free air turbo at the moment...

Black dawg

Reaction score
ok so it will do a couple revolutions when i push it with my finger.. i let it run and had my boy shut the engine off and once off it spun few revolutions befre stoping..it maybe spun for a second and slowed a tad and stopped..myself i would think it should have wound down a little more before stoping... but thats just my thought..seems like it turns good when tuck is running so i don't now..

My turbo spins probably 15+ seconds after shutdown from 600 rpm idle. Oh and it whistles almost too much.
this is with a warmed up (driven) engine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist

Members online