expected more whistle...

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
at the moment just have straight Banks 3" down pipe. exhaust not hooked up, and haven't hooked air box back up yet, watching the turbo spin... and its very quiet...really was hoping for more noticeable turbo whistle...

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rev it up a few times. It'll howl pretty good.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
It sure will wine if you don't have the intake connected or the exhaust connected when you rev it up..

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reved it up several times and minimal whistle..if I turn my injection pump up a lil would that make a difference? Also could I adjust/ open waste gate any?

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i don't get that...and thats what i was expecting after listening to several video clips of peoples exhaust on here.. i start it and you do not hear mine until i rev it up pretty high... even then its just noticeable at best.. surely not what i expected or compared to ones i heard that even have their exhausts hooked up..

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A couple of things. One, it may not be "broken in" yet. Gunk and crud may be slowing it down. Don't judge it until you have some miles on it. Second, check to make sure you don't have any exhaust leaks. Cracked manifolds, leaking pipe joints, etc, may not show up unless you look for them.

Don't forget, that a turbo really only "works" when the exhaust is leaving the engine faster than the air is going into it. This only happens when the engine is under load, so put it together, and hitch up to something or climb a big hill.

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Agnem.... my truck is factory turbo, so with 289k miles it should be well broken in by now if that is what you mean... also at the moment my exhaust isn't hooked up, just manifold pipes going into turbo and 3" dp off the back.. don't want to put that bulky air box back on so going to fab up something to eliminate that, so at the moment there isn't even an air box on to restrict flow, i can see the turbo spinning....
Also when the truck is off should the turbo wheel spin freely? or should it have resistance on it? And yeah i still need to time the pump also, am installing a pyro and plan to turn the pump up some too..

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Turning up the fuel will not change the whistle. Opening the wastegate is not going to change the whistle either. If anything you want that closed all the time so the turbo is pushing more exhaust thru the hot side of the turbo. Not wasting it out the gate so to speak. What the gate does is stays closed till you reach the opening pressure of the boost. You can set the gate to open at 4 lbs if you wanted it to. Nobody does that. So increasing the pressure on the gate will incrase the boost pressure because it takes more pressure to open the gate. The gate is held closed by the spring pressure in the can that is fed boost pressure by that rubber hose.

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks icanfixall, i will check that out tonight.. i am not looking for the truck to sound like a jet liner , just want it to sound like a turbo diesel lol....i am really trying to make myself "like" this engine enough to not get crazy and do the cummins swap..

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Want whistle...

this helps

You must be registered for see images attach

Stick that here!

Or perhaps this...

Thats a couple ways to get yerself some whistle.

I'd encourage you to invest in these products to produce the pronounced sound you are seeking!

JM2CW

Al

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks riot but not gonna go that route...
scout thats what my buddy said, yep still sounds like a 460..
oh well maybe i am chasing a hope...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online