Exhaust

BJS

Reaction score
Depends on what mods you plan on doing in the future. From what I've read and heard there is a "loss" of low end power but you do "gain" the power back in the higher rpms.

The prices are good but I'd say it'd be extreme overkill for a truck with stock injectors.

Swany

Consiglieri
Reaction score
You'd probably lose some low end with a 5", 4" would be a better bet, consider getting a 5 or 6 inch tip if ya want. That would look cool!

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look at my pics, I have a 5" system from my DP back, straight piped. No cat, no muffler and it dumps in front of the rear wheel...........

Is it overkill? yeah probably. Does it sound BADASS. Most definelty. I have terrific turbo spool up and my EGT's are extreemly managable, even while towing my 26' travel trailer. Any way, check out the pics of a 5" system.

There are several guys pushing nearly 400 horse through a stock exhaust, so the upgrade to 4" will allow you to push in excess of 450 hp and a 5", lest say unless you have extreemly deep pockets, you wont be able to utilize it.

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
the 5" would be nice if they offered it without a muffler....

i don't see how the 5" system would loose any more power than a 4" system on the bottom end (or allow any more airflow for more power) .. the down pipe is 4" and it has 4" pipe untill it expands under the cab, the system is going to have the same amount of backpressure/air flow capacity as its smallest restriction you may see a TINY bit more flow due to larger pipe in the bends but that shouldn't matter with a mandrel bent pipe and with a straight type muffler i don't see any big gains there... EX: i have a 3 inch pipe and put a 6" tip on it... does it flow any more air... no..

personally if you run without a muffler i think a 3.5 will flow all most of us will ever need to, again back to the same argument as above the turbo outlet is going to be your main restriction without changing something there i don't see where the average joe will gain much of anything as far as EGT reduction or power increases

just my thoughts on pipes

but on the other hand i have heard they sound sweet and i plan to put a 5" under my truck sans muffler, but not for big power gains just for looks and sound

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel