exhaust

PADIESEL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tired of the old straight pipe... so should I get the dual exhaust or a 5" exhaust????
which is better and why?

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
The 5 inch discussion has happened before and basically what I gained from it is that unless your going twin turbo then 5 inch actually hurts ya because of flow dynamics and heat expansion... something about if the cross sectional area is too big then the exhaust actually slows down enough to create back pressure. The consensus is that 4 inch is plenty big enough to move hot gasses but not too large to slow them down - basically it keeps them moving at a high speed...

Now for duals... that is a matter of personal choice on looks. For me it would mean cleaning two sides of the TT more often than just touching up the curb side once in a while.

Now for stacks... Again personal choice. I personally love the looks of them but don't want to hear the exhaust anymore than I do currently. While the loud truck sounds cool but after pulling a load up a grade for more than 10 mins it's gets old real quick... maybe it's because I'm getting older...

rubberfish

Reaction score
argve said:
Now for stacks... Again personal choice. I personally love the looks of them but don't want
Them on my truck. I had a look at your site Josh,
and sure like the pic of the D-Max with mitre cuts. ;Sweet
That's the kind I'd go with if I ever decide to run stacks.
And I have, and am still, considering them.

PADIESEL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So 4" is plenty enough i am maybe going to put a regular edge on my truck not going propane injection with nitrous and everything....just a nice reliable toy puller....

Whit

Reaction score
A clip from the latest Diesel Power magazine

Pipe Dreams

Diesel enthusiasts already know the great power potential and more efficient fuel consumption offered by a diesel truck.All that power and economy doesnt come without picking the right parts though. An after market high flow exhaust system has to do more than simply make your truck sound better. Point in case with a 4" vs. 5 or 6 inch system, how big do you need to go? To answer that first we need to go over a few basics.
On most contemporary turbodiesel engines, the exhaust comes right off the exit of the turbo and after market exhaust manufacturers offer more than one tubing size to vent the exhaust more quickly.
One advantage of moving exhaust gasses quickly and efficiently is to reduce buildup of heat. Turbo diesel engines generate alot of heat, especially when the engine is under a heavy load. A high flow exhaust actually allows your diesel engine to run cooler and adds the potential for more boost when towing.
Large diameter tubing also reduces backpressure, making it easier for the pistons to shove that exhaust out of the cylenders and resulting inmore horsepower. Less backpressure allows the turbin to spin more efficiently, therefore it will build boost quicker and run cooler.
Interestingly enough however there is a point where bigger isnt necessarly better. While engine testing indicates that going from 3-1/2" to 4" can reduce backpressure by as much as 98%, ther can be less than 2% reduction above 4" exhaust. SO while a 5 or 6" exhaust looks cool it wont give you much more than just a coolness factor.

Mark Craig

Advertising Sponsor
Reaction score
PADIESEL,

The 5 inch isn't necessary (unless you just like the way it looks then go for it) until you get to 500RWHP, 4 inch does all you need. Some folks complain the 5 inch drones too, everybody is different though on that. Duals are waaaay cool, smoke'm from both sides at a light and all that!! You need a 4x4 do get them installed on a Dodge, the MBRP are the easiest to fit and you can get them in aluminized, 409 and 304 stainless too! Plus the MBRP systems have 100% welded hangers on the Dodge systems that re use the stock rubber mounts, easy OEM style install! Now if you decide on stacks, take a look at the MBRP there too, they are the only ones offering the stack part in 304 polished stainless, costs morebut won't rust and stays waaaaay more shiney than chrome too! The underbody and bed parts are available in aluminized and stainless too. They even have a tread plate in bed cover to hide the non shiney parts!!! Call us if you have any questions, we'll be glad to help you.

Mark @ DPPI

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i suggest a single 4" with a long 5" tailpipe.
heres my reasons
stacks, look good, but the exhaust is loud as hell rattling off the back window. also, everybody that i've ever met running stacks has encountered higher egt's than when the ran underbody exhaust...i dont know why, but i talked to about 15 different guys about it when i wanted to put a single stack on my cummins. one more bad thing about stacks.....
have you ever hauled leaves or anything like that in the bed? youd notice the circular swirl of air as it hits the tailgate and whips back into the bad...yup, all that soot from the stack whirls around in the bed coating EVERYTHING including anything your hauling and your back window. not much fine to clean up imo.
over 4" underbody pipe has a droning noise to it...not too exciting to my ears...but hey, thats my .02