exhaust, whats the best?

treefidy

Reaction score
Hey all out there in ford land. i am getting ready to put on a new exhaust system. of corse here "in nevada" we dont have to have a muffler, "and my truck dosent need a kitty either" so my question is? whats the best exhaust for my truck? i want the big rig sound and better flow, so what should i do? i have looked at all different system ranging from summit racing's to borla, or should i build my own system? please give me some input

Ramprat

Inside your OODA
Reaction score
Don't ask me I'm in the same boat you are.

I'd like to go from the down pipe back ripping everything out & putting in some kind of 4inch pipe and possibly some kind of muffler on the old 97 PSD:D :D :D

Have even been thinking about putting in a new down pipe, but more than likely will just leave it alone.

Taxx

Reaction score
http://oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3791&forumid=12

Check that link out. I just installed it today in under 2 hours. Easy install. I don't have EGT and Boost numbers yet to compair with stock but I will tomorrow or Thurs. Its a very well made kit and you'll get the big rig sound. Sort of like a 747 racing down the runway when you get on it!

I looked at a lot of systems and I am very pleased with this one for the quality, price and ease of install.

:eek:

jvencius

Reaction score
I had a Walker BTM installed and, gosh and golly, the cat just "fell off" (fortunately I had a jack underneath it at the time and I don't know what that Sawzall was doing in my hands ;) :eek: ;p ) so for me, that's all the exhaust work I need to do. The sound in the cab isn't all that much louder with the windows up (with the windows down, you definitely hear it more) but the best part is I'm out less than a hundred bucks for the whole mess. The BTM and installation was ~$75 IIRC, two feet of 3.5" flexpipe and the clamps was ~$25. I borrowed a friend's Sawzall and jack to do the work so that didn't cost me anything. Now, when compared to the stock exhaust, I've got much better flow, the turbo spools faster, and the sound when I'm driving next to a hard object (building, retaining wall, Honda Civic) with the passengers' side rear window down is simply divine.

I thought about going to a 4" stainless kit for the mpg gain, but when I figured out how much driving it would take for the $800 or so for that complete new exhaust to pay itself off and start making me money, that idea got ix-nayed right then. IIRC, if I saved (conservatively) 1 mpg by going to a 4" exhaust from the turbo back, I would have to drive between 450,000 and 600,000 miles for the exhaust to pay for itself. :eek:

BTW, I don't tow heavy enough or frequently enough to need a 4" exhaust to keep EGT's down. For the tiny bit of towing I do, the slightly modified stock exhaust works just fine and EGT's aren't a problem. Even hauling my buddy's race car through Montana at 80 mph or so, I never saw highway EGT's over 800 or peak EGT's (going up a mountain) over 1250.

Last edited:

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
treefiddy,

IMHO you can build your own just fine. Give us a little info on year and model of your truck. But I am going to take a stab here and tell you to get a good down pipe, lose the cat and muffler and starting at the downpipe go to 4". Now you have a choice to make. All the way out the back in stock location or turn and dump it infront of rear wheel. I went in front of the rear wheel and I also went 5". Pretty unecessary for the kind of HP I'm laying down, but its what I wanted. I have experienced a significant increase in turbo flutter at mid throttle positions. At low throttle positions the turbo rolls freely and has a very nice whistle to it. At WFO she really bellars. You can check the link in my signature for pics of the 5" install.

Oh yeah, I bought all my exhast tubing and brackets from AIRFLOW ONLINE . And my downpipe came from Mark over at DPPI . Dealing with both of those businesses was a pleasure. All said and done I had around $225.00 in my exhaust system.

Rampy,

If your going to change your exhaust you gotta change the DP too. Its a must. Dont know if you have tossed the stock airbox yet or not but if you havent you need to do that too.

treefidy

Reaction score
hmmm, yea i have a 350, cc, long bed, and being that i dont have to have a cat or a muffler i think im pretty much free to do what i want. ? does the flutter do anything bad for the engine? i keep seeing everyone talking about flutter and want to know what the big deal is? i dont want to screw up the 7.3 performance, also if anyone is looking for a spare pair of hubs,headlights,cup holder, or complete seat cover "factory seats" please let me know. i am really glade that you guys are responding, this site is the best. thanks. also where should i get the walker btm.

treefidy

Reaction score
taxx,
that seems like a nice system, where did you get it from? and if you dont mind, how much did it set you back?

jvencius

Reaction score
Originally posted by treefidy
also where should i get the walker btm.

I ordered mine for the local Champion Auto Parts (now they're "Bumper to Bumper Auto Parts", IIRC). I went with the Walker vs. truly straight-piping the PSD since to my ears, a genuinely straight-piped 7.3 sounds rotten and harsh. The BTM seemed to take out the upper range frequencies and now the exhaust sound is a nice mellow rumble.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, the flutter isnt bad for the engine or turbo, its just an annoying sound is all.

Ramprat

Inside your OODA
Reaction score
Originally posted by 95_stroker

Rampy,

If your going to change your exhaust you gotta change the DP too. Its a must. Dont know if you have tossed the stock airbox yet or not but if you havent you need to do that too.

Guess I'll wait a while if it get's done at all, don't really want to dork around with the DP.

I've got a TYMAR intake system.

Taxx

Reaction score
Originally posted by treefidy
taxx,
that seems like a nice system, where did you get it from? and if you dont mind, how much did it set you back?

powerstrokeshop.com its on their site now here:

http://www.trademotion.com/partloca...fo&PartID=287201&siteid=214083&catalogid=3670

$385. Not as cheap as making your own (its for 99 and up too, I don't know what boat your in or waht they offer for pre 99.5) but very high quality and I got great service. i looked at some others, summit included (around $300) but I got more information on this kit and I knew what I was getting versus some of the others. Its high quality IMO. The clamps and hangers are great and the pipes are all very well made and it fits right together.

Dale_Lakin

Reaction score
Originally posted by Taxx

http://www.trademotion.com/partloca...fo&PartID=287201&siteid=214083&catalogid=3670

$385. Not as cheap as making your own (its for 99 and up too, I don't know what boat your in or waht they offer for pre 99.5) but very high quality and I got great service. i looked at some others, summit included (around $300) but I got more information on this kit and I knew what I was getting versus some of the others. Its high quality IMO. The clamps and hangers are great and the pipes are all very well made and it fits right together.

It is now on sale for $395.00 SHIPPED in 48 US to OB peeps but you have to mention you saw it here!!

Dave was kind enough to do a writeup with some readings and great details on it (yea he got a deal to do it and this is a shameless plug but what the hell)

http://www.haughs.net/powerstroke/install.htm

Last edited:

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Taxx

I notice they show the system being 16ga steel. I have read ( but never heard first hand so take this with a grain of salt) that the 16ga systems are susceptible to sounding "tinny". Meaning the metal isnt thick enough to withstand vibration and give the exhaust a weird sound. The 14ga systems (being thicker metal) are supposed be not as prone to that.

Of course this could also have everything to do with clamps and fit/finish under the trucks too, so who knows. Like I said, I've never knowingly heard a 14ga -vs- a 16ga system, but it is something I'd sure like to know!

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
I haven't seen it mentioned yet but one of the best sounding trucks that I have heard personally, besides the new 6.0l from ford, was a 4" turbo out, no kitty and a Aeroturbine... It sounded like a BB turbo on steriods...

The only thing keeping me from doing it to my truck is the cost... $200 for Aeroturbine... It may not seem like much but for just gaining a cooler sounding exhaust, it doesn't seem worth it to me....

Also I have a 4" system from the turbo out... no kitty... Magnaflow straight thru muffler... it sounds tough... just not as cool as the Aero...

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
i like the no muffler route, even with the stock pipe (no kitty of course) it will keep her nice and cool, and its real cheap to if cost is a issue, i think mine sounds pretty good, flutter is minimal

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online